Video/TV stuttering after resume using ATI Radeon HD5450 (1 Viewer)

bart0190

Portal Pro
January 17, 2009
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: blue 3 wide
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 4850e, 2x 2.50GHz, boxed
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 640GB, 16MB Cache, SATA II
Memory: 4 GB DDR2 PC2-6400U CL5 (DDR2-800)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 3200 HD / ATI Radeon HD5450
Video Card Driver: ATI CCC 9.5 / ATI CCC 11.11
Sound Card: onboard
Sound Card AC3: optical out SPDIF
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: TerraTec Cinergy S2 CI
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: PDVD
MPEG2 Audio Codec: PDVD
h.264 Video Codec: PDVD
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion Remote
Cooling: CPU Cooling Fan (boxed), Case fan
Power Supply:
Remote: Logitech Harmony 525
TV: Panasonic TH-42PZ85EA, 24p, 100Hz
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi,
I was using on-chip ATI Radeon HD3200, with SAF5, PDVD codecs. No stuttering in video. Of course, due to low performance full-HD-TV content didn't work properly. So, I decided to get a better graphic card ATI Radeon HD 5450. When I do a fresh reboot of the system everything works fine and as expected (now also HD-TV content).

Now my problem: If I send my system into standby (doesn't matter if MP is on or off) I get stuttering in all video contents.
- in SD-TV, mostly visible when camera is moving (a lot of picture changes happen in video). So, all the time
- similar in SD video. All the time
- in HD-TV mostly in transitions but not that strong as in SD-TV
- in full HD video. every 40 sec I get video stuttering for ca. 3 sec.

What I have tried / found out:
- after fresh system reboot everything works fine
- restart MP doesn't help (manually or with MP config setting)
- playing media outside MP -- no stuttering
- very same codec settings (PDVD9 or 10) as for HD 3200, only driver and CCC is new: stuttering
- using SAF6 (PDVD11): stuttering
- trying different codecs (PDVD9, 10, 11, ffdshow, ...): stuttering
- trying different driver/CCC versions (11.08,09,10,11): stuttering
- while playing video no dropped frames, no jitter (using shift+1 to see it)
- restart of TVService doesn't help

So, as a conclusion: maybe MP player has problem with graphic card when it is not totally reset (as after reboot).

I haven't done any other changes on the system compared when having HD3200 running (except driver and CCC of course).
I have attached loggings from after a fresh reboot and the other one after resume.

Does anybody have an idea to solve this problem?
Is there a way to reset the graphic card without a reboot (as a workaround)?

regards
bart

1stdead

Portal Pro
February 1, 2008
Copenhagen
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Nice to see the heavy testing! However you did try the stuff i wanted to test. Just want to tell you that I got exactly the same setup as just, but no shuttering, not that it is very helpfull. But resuming from hibernate/standby does work. hmm

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My father had a similar problem, and the only codec that worked was PDVD 8 (he had a gigabyte motherboard too).

Worth a try

bart0190

Portal Pro
    January 17, 2009
    My father had a similar problem, and the only codec that worked was PDVD 8 (he had a gigabyte motherboard too).

Worth a try

Thanks for the hint, I will try it.

@1stdead: I see you have Windows 7. Maybe it is also the combination with Win XP.

schumach

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2010
    What version of CCC are you running? I have had sporadic issues with CCC 10.10 and higher. I am currently on 10.9 and and have not had any issues over the last year.

schumach

bart0190

Portal Pro
    January 17, 2009

Worth a try

I tested with PDVD 8, but still the same stuttering. :(

What version of CCC are you running? I have had sporadic issues with CCC 10.10 and higher. I am currently on 10.9 and and have not had any issues over the last year.

schumach

I uninstalled CCC and graphic card driver and then tried to install CCC 10.9 but it didn't give me the choice for installing CCC nor the driver. Does this version already include a driver for HD 5450? Or do I need to install it differently?

However, it seems to me that such a combination of CCC and graphic card is the reason. With my integrated graphic chip I also had problems until CCC 9.5 came out.

regards
    bart

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Can you download and use the DPC latency checker, just let it run on your desktop for a few minutes and see if any spikes appear, this will give you a clue as to what may be happening on your system.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I made the mistake of trying to update to CCC 11.11 the other day and hit a similar problem to you (heavy micro-stutter). I ended up having to revert back to an earlier image of my hard drive to get back to a working system. When I checked what version of CCC was installed on this working image and it was 11.4.

I then tried to update the HD HDMI Audio Device driver (but leaving the video driver the same) and this resulted in the stuttering returning.

I have now reverted back to the image and stopped bloody messing with it! If I were you, I would try CCC 11.4. If you can remove your later version of CCC and delete any traces of the video and HDMI Audio drivers from your system and then installing CCC 11.4. If that doesn't work, then it might be worth trying a fresh Windows install and put CCC 11.4 on (and nothing else).

Robbo100

bart0190

Portal Pro
    January 17, 2009
    Thanks for all your support.
    I installed now Windows 7 64 bit with SAF 6 and CCC 11.12.
    Now stuttering is gone.

regards
    Bart

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom