[OTHER] Videocard upgrade for HDTV (1 Viewer)

Sacul

Portal Member
January 10, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi all,

I've been struggling for a while to get Dutch HDTV working fluently. I've found out the IGP is to weak (HD3200).
I installed a ATI HD5770 from my game PC and it works great.

My question to you is what kind of videocard should I purchase? The HD5770 is doing the job well, but I think this might be to powerful. And I prefer a videocard with passive cooling. ATI or nVidia doesn't matter.

I have this card in mind: HD4650

My system specs:

Mainbord
GA-MA78GM-S2H (HD3200)

CPU
AMD Athlon X2 4200+

Memory
Corsair 2 GB, PC6400

PSU
Antec Earthwatts 380 Watt

TV-card
Digital Everywhere DVB-C FloppyDTV

h.264 Codec
Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) installed with SAF *unlocked*

Thanks!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I think AMD's CEDAR-series will be a good choice, if you can wait a bit (and read reviews first!)
    Fudzilla

For nVidia, the 220 is probably a good choice .
    The 220 is more expensive than ATI's 4350 (and even 4550 IIRC), so I guess ATi gives most "bang for the buck".

There are bad things to say about both nVidia and ATi, I guess, so...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm using a gt 220, and must admit it is superb at HD decoding, plus with the directcompute and the possibility of encoding using the gpu, put it above the ATI series for me, currently there are no passive models in shops that I have found, but they are in production according to some of the manufacturers and should be available soon.

ps cannot here the fan running on the palit sonic gt220 I have anyway, hdd's drown any possible noise and they are pretty quiet, unless you stick your ear right next to them :)

Sacul

Portal Member
    January 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the fast replies.

Actually I can't wait for new cards. So the best choice for now will be a GT 220? I can always mount a passive cooling system later. But maybe the noise is fair enough. I am not going to put my ear next to it :D

Will Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD9) work fine with GT 220? And I can buy a 512MB or 1024MB edition. Is 1024MB a good choice, it's only a few euro's more...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well did a lot of comparisons between different makes of 220, using google and chose the above because it was quoted as the quietest, also turned out to be the cheapest at UK £47 delivered, but that was not the reason, just hit lucky :)

ps. regarding codecs, I use the Vista Codec Pack, with FFDShow enabled dxva for H.264 files, this has the PDVD9 mpeg2 codec supplied as well (does not need unlocking), afaik the SAF codec setup by hoborg does not have this version of FFDShow yet.

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Not to confuse things too much but it looks like the reason your IGP is not up to the task is the speed of the HT your processor uses. Your processor has a Hyper Transport speed of 2000MHz you need a processor with a HT speed of 3600MHz... see this thread...

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...oard-8200-8300-poor-playback-fix-found-50946/

I upgraded my processor, to a 7750, it may be cheaper/ easier to upgrade your video card as you have already planned...
    And make sure you checked the basics, like the amount of shared memory allocated in the BIOS

Sacul

Portal Member
    January 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey,

Thanks for the advice I already set the shared memory in the BIOS :)
    A new videocard is the best option I think.

:Dto all

Sacul

Portal Member
    January 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

I just installed the new videocard. It's running gooood! :D
    HDTV image is perfect, smooth and CPU usage is minimal :). Thanks for the good advice guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom