Viewing DVD Video_TS folders using VLC in MP (1 Viewer)

ruffryder

Portal Member
July 15, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
First time poster here, short time viewer too. Finally made the jump to try and get some view software for all my moves and dvd's on my computer. I am trying to use the VLC player, due to its ability to be controlled by a mouse, and because I like using it. I have setup the external player as VLC, pointing to the correct .exe file. For my .avi movies, VLC opens them fine, but it doesn't open the Video_TS folder correctly. I get an error and it crashes saying that it cannot open the folder.

I have noticed when using VLC on it's own, that when selecting "Open Disc" you need to go to the main folder "Movie Name" / VIDEO_TS / .... In this example if you try to navigate down to the VIDEO_TS folder, I get the same error as when trying to open my movies using media portal to control VLC player. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that I need VLC to try and open the "Movie Name" folder, not the VIDEO_TS folder that it is trying to do.

I am a newb when it comes to HTPC software. I have tried reading all the FAQ's and Manuals, but honestly, I am not sure where to look for the solution. Google failed me too... lol

I am guessing it should be solved using the Parameter field shown below the "select external player" for the DVD selection.

Specs
Windows XP
MediaPortal 1.0.2
VLC player 1.0.0
StreamedMP skin (currently Beta v0.8.448)

Thanks for any help that can be offered. My main purpose was trying to make the gf happy being able to play all different types of movies, in different locations, on different drives, in different formats, in one simple manner. I am close, really close. I tried Meedious, but I didn't like the default player and I could not figure out how to incorporate VLC into it. I am a big fan of VLC if you can't tell. It hasn't let me down, untill now.

Thanks again.

ruffryder

Portal Member
July 15, 2009
Home Country
Dang.. Wrong place? Media Portal is pretty good.. just need to fix this slight problem.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Thread in correct section, but I guess not many ppl use external players for other things than BR - and even fewer I guess uses VLC, so you might want to give this time.

(I've never used VLC in MP, btw)

ruffryder

Portal Member
    July 15, 2009
    Home Country
    Yah, I probably need to work on patience. Thanks for the response.

I have searched and found quite a few posts on the subject in the noob area, but there is never any conclusions / solutions. I think I found some posts that would help, but they are in another language...

On another note, anyone know any specifics about the parameters that can be sent to an external player? Is this external player dependent or MediaPlayer dependent.

I will now exercise some patients..lol :oops:

loinbread

Portal Member
    June 26, 2009
    Home Country
    There's a lot of trouble surrounding IFO/VOB rips that only extract the movie and not the rest of the menu and extras crap. A lot of players (MediaPlayer's internal player included) have difficulty playing these for some unbeknownst reason. MediaPlayerClassic, however, seems to play direct IFO/VOB movie rips.

ruffryder

Portal Member
    July 15, 2009
    Home Country
    It is not a problem with the DVD rip. The error I get when trying to open the file using media portal with vlc is the same when I try to use VLC and use "Open Disc" and then browsing to the Video_TS folder. If I only brows to the folder 1 level up (The movie name) then VLC will play fine.

I am assuming that it is a call error, that the parameter VLC gets from Media Portal is incorrect, or needs further modifications.

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom