VLC Plugin missing in MediaPortal Configuration (1 Viewer)

David66

Portal Pro
June 18, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I think the title says it all... Where's the VLC Plugin gone? :confused:

Thx.

TV-Server Version: -
MediaPortal Version: RC2
MediaPortal Skin: N.A.
Windows Version: Vista
CPU Type:
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    If it's not in there, the reason is that none developer maintains it & bugs are not fixed, & thats not a bug..........

Regards
    Roy

David66

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    :mad:

Your not being serious are you?

Who determines how often a plug in needs to be updated, or what constitutes a bug? Is there a comity who decides what goes and what stays. Is this a community project? Is there a Linus out there who says "No that doesn't go in the kernel."?

I use mediaportal on a Notebook with no tuner card, and have enjoyed watching T.V. from my DreamBox. As a matter of fact, I am planing to buy another one with a twin tuner, so we don't have to depend on the T.V. so much.

I spent hours finding and recompiling the DreamBox Plug in, but it's useless without the VLC plug in. To tell the truth that really p..s me off.

So what you're saying is that if someone who say does the work on something you use, but then stops developing, that module will be gone sooner or later, if no one else wants to support it? That sounds like a roller coaster headed for nirvana.

I seriously hope that you do not represent the people responsible for an otherwise such outstanding project.

kiesow

Portal Pro
    March 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So what you're saying is that if someone who say does the work on something you use, but then stops developing, that module will be gone sooner or later, if no one else wants to support it? That sounds like a roller coaster headed for nirvana.

And what is YOUR solution? Who should continue the development of a plugin whose dev is leaving? The devs? Well, I think it's much more important for them to work on the core and not on some plugins that lacks maintainer.
    I guess as soon as one of them has enough, he maybe will take a look at the plugin.

SVN or RC does not mean stable!
    If you need the VLC plugin, use the lastet stable or unstable release with it.
    The first priority should always be the core components. After this everything else.

SVN = development, some things will not work.
    RC = release candidate, but maybe not complete.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    the VLC plugin has been removed from the main svn.

it will soon be availabel as plugin on the homepage / repository.
    the sourcecode will be commited to the plugins svn.

so if anyone wants to continue the development, then he can take it up from there and then release further version as community plugin.

in my very personal opinion, MediaPortal became overloaded during the years. because "everything" has been added to it.
    The amount of features compared with the amount of developers and testers is just insane.

Now with the MediaPortal Installer users are able to install new plugins and skins with just a few mouseclicks.

Means, in the future there wont be that much new fancy integrated features/plugins. the importand things will be there, and focus is one stability and useability.

so plugin developers will have a solid foundation for their work.

David66

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I apologize for being so rude, but I was really hot around the collar.

I downloaded the files from svn and compiled what I (believed to have) needed. After compiling everything, all works as before. (As far as I could see in the short time.)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom