Volume bug again (1 Viewer)

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
Just reporting that this bug is still present, over 5 years later (even though it is marked as closed) https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-1471?jql="External issue ID" ~ "2547" it has never gone away as far as I know, but it probably did for one version, that seems to be how the MP bug fixes often seem to be, gone in one version only to return in the next.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please create a correct bug report. You are not even indicating, which MePo version you are referring to. Your system specification says that you are using 1.8. As you know we are now on 1.11 and will move to 1.12 final in a few days.

As for me I cannot confirm your statement: everything is working as it should.

Last edited:

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    hasn't happened much for a while but I finally managed to get some logs, taken in a failed state where the volume does not work.
    using the volume control shows the OSD for the volume bar getting bigger/smaller but nothing else happens, the sound does not actually get louder.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So are we to assume the problem happened on the morning of the 29th?

I don't see any obvious errors in your log files. However, the logs are only info-level, so it isn't possible to see the full detail of what is going on. I also can't see the full detail of the available audio hardware/connections as it seems the logs were collected via RDP. There's nothing to indicate what kind of audio setup you have in your system specifications either.

The only suggestions I can make:
    1. Set log level to debug and collect logs again.
    2. Give us the full lowdown on your audio setup.
    3. Fix your TV codec preferences. "ATI MPEG Multiplexer" is not a suitable video codec. That configuration error looks like it adds about 3 seconds to your channel change time.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    the audio setup is the motherboard built in sound card connected to the speakers via the speaker out connection (not spdif). I'll have to go looking for the brand/model if that's important
    attached is my choices, is ATI MPEG video decoder a better choice? I thought the ATI ones used the GPU and should be faster/better? If I can save 3 seconds the channel changes should be near instant.

Attachments

• codecs.png
      codecs.png
      7.9 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    can you describe "speaker out connection, not spif" in more details, are you talking about analog 3.5mm or digital coaxial? Thank you.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for following up. :)

the audio setup is the motherboard built in sound card connected to the speakers via the speaker out connection (not spdif). I'll have to go looking for the brand/model if that's important
    Okay. I don't think the motherboard brand/model would make much difference. The main thing I wanted to know was whether you were using analog, S/PDIF or HDMI audio.

attached is my choices, is ATI MPEG video decoder a better choice? I thought the ATI ones used the GPU and should be faster/better?
    ATI MPEG video would probably work, but my guess is that it's not the best choice [because they're so old now - 15 years???]. Further, I think it's very unlikely that the ATI codecs make use of proprietary extensions in the GPU to make them "faster/better". Those codecs were probably created in the era of AVIVO under the original ATI, whereas your GPU was created by AMD in the era of the UVD. As Wikipedia says: AVIVO has long been superseded.

If I were you I'd be using Cyberlink, LAV, or Microsoft... in that order. In my opinion Cyberlink has the best picture quality; LAV is well supported and configurable; MS usually just works too.

Whatever you choose, anything should be better than the ATI multiplexer (which is not even a video codec, and hence the 3 second delay).

Regarding the actual issue...
    HDMI audio issues are common; analog... not so much. I'm really not sure what to suggest. Clearly MP is receiving the input from the remote, otherwise you wouldn't see the OSD changes. You're also hearing audio, so the audio chip is online/available.

Does the volume control work if you close and reopen MediaPortal?
    Screenshots of all the Windows audio settings after the problem has been triggered may be helpful, as may debug-level log files...

[edit: As far as I know the MP volume control manipulates Windows volume settings. There's no built-in volume scaler. That's why I asked about the Windows audio settings.]

Last edited:

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    OK, thanks will try Cyberlink. I have set the logs to debug but the issue doesn't show up all the time so it may be a while till I can get more logs. Yes, if I close mediaportal (the client, no need to restart the service) the volume works as expected. I can have a look at the windows audio stuff but as the problem goes away when I restart MP I suspect they won't be showing anything useful.

and kiwijunglist I mean the analog 3.5mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have set the logs to debug but the issue doesn't show up all the time so it may be a while till I can get more logs.
    Sure, I understand. There's no rush. :)

Yes, if I close mediaportal (the client, no need to restart the service) the volume works as expected. I can have a look at the windows audio stuff but as the problem goes away when I restart MP I suspect they won't be showing anything useful.
    Okay. You may well be right about the log files, but it's possibly the best chance we have to know what is going on.
    Perhaps a better way to capture the Windows audio settings would be to alt+enter to get to windowed mode, then you could take the Windows audio screenshots while the non-volume-controlling MP is still open.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    sorry, forgot the audio setting screenshot but here is some more logs, and I hope there now debug level

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom