Volume control using opticil (spdif) output?? (1 Viewer)

hotponyshoes

Portal Member
October 28, 2007
Hi all,
I am hoping to connect my htpc to my hi-fi system using the optical output from the motherboard into a digital to audio converter.
This is a stand-alone hi-fi seperate not a surround sound reciver.
It is working but there is no control of the volume.
Aside from the ffd codec pack only the standard mediaportal codecs are installed,
I have (I think) turned the ffd settings for digital pass through off but the volume control still wont work on the optical!
Any ideas?
Thanks!

TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 2.3RC3
MediaPortal Skin: X-Face
Windows Version: XP Pro Sp2
CPU Type: AMD 4600+ Dual Core 2.4GHZ
HDD: 250GB Sata 300 / 500GB Sata 300
Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) PC4000
Motherboard: Abit AN8 32x
Motherboard Chipset: NForce 4
Motherboard Bios: Abit 13
Video Card: 2 x BFG 7600GT OC 256MB
Video Card Driver: Nvidia
Sound Card: Abit Optical Out
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Black Gold GDI3520 Dual-Tuner
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T / Analog
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card: Black Gold GDI3520 Dual-Tuner (Quad Configeration)
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T / Analog
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Thermaltake Bach
Cooling: Fans
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower
Remote: iMon
TV: Panasonic TH37PW5B 37" Plasma Display
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA / Component

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    When using SPDIF you are not supposed to alter the volume - as this is raw signal.
    I remember I made it work using wave, though... can't remember anything more.
    I can have a look at it, but possibly not before after xmas.

Sidenote: I use my MCE remote to adjust sound of the optical receiver, using the learn function. Is this not an option for you?

EDIT: Wow... found the old thread @ AC3filter

hotponyshoes

Portal Member
    October 28, 2007
    It's only running on a stereo setup (2 speakers) anyway so I don't actually want to send out DD/DTS etc just stereo.
    I have the iMON remote and don't think it can learn commands.
    I did try the MCE but could never get it to work with my iMON (VFD) reciver so sold it again.

I was trying to use optical to get a better sound quality than using a 3.5mm jack to phono converter cable.
    If all else fails I will just get a pci sound card with proper phono outputs on it..

uncertainty

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2007
    NYC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Optical out for digital audio uses a TOSLINK connector and it is not possible to adjust the volume from within media portal for this type of connection. You have to adjust the audio by using the controls for where you are terminating the TOSLINK connector (ie audio receiver).

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    @threadstarter: Please don't make these identical threads in different sub-forums (crossposting). I am letting it pass for now, since you COULD ask this for MP1 and MP2.

hotponyshoes

Portal Member
    October 28, 2007
    Sorry about the double post, I wrote one and my pc locked up (I thought before I posted) and must have stuck the first one in the wrong place as I didn't see it when I looked so I posted again.

I read through all the posts I could find and it looks like some people have said that they have had problems where they CAN change the volume for music (mp3's etc) but not for movies.

Most answers tell them that this is because the music is decoded / processed inside the pc and the dvd/movies (in AC3/DTS) are passthrough, so sent stright to the decoder so you can't change the volume.

What I would like to do is have my pc convert all media (including dvd's/movies) to simple, 2 channel stereo, let me adjust the volume and still send it out over toslink spdif.

There is a volume slider (in sounds & audio devices) for spdif but it is greyed out and doesn't change.
    My motherboard is a Abit AN8-32X with the nForce 4 chipset / audio so it may just be that the mb is fixed.

If I can't do it via spdif can anybody reccomend a good pci soundcard that has a pair of 'proper' phono sockets on it and can decode anything into normal stereo?
    Thanks!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I can change the volume for everthing except DVD and ome movies.
    Try asking in the AC3Filter forum.

Btw: Merged ith your other thread :)

darchons

Portal Member
    December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    have you tried adjusting the "Wave" slider in sounds & audio devices? my mobo has the same chipset and the same problem. i can use wave volume to adjust spdif volume though. i think it's an issue with the realtek drivers. supposedly nvidia audio drivers don't have the problem, but nvidia audio driver is discontinued and i was never able to install it

armyofme

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2006
    York
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Another alternative is you could get the Sony RM-VL600 (ebay for about £20). This will learn all your Imon keystrokes and your amp ones. Major plus is, along with being a much nicer remote, you have discrete cursor keys instead of that annoying mouse pad thing, grrr! And no I don't work for Sony, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom