VPN Toggle (Feature or Solution Request) (1 Viewer)

clobber

Portal Pro
January 12, 2008
ObO,

Would it be possible to add a feature that automatically connects a particular windows VPN connection (DUN, PPTP) when a specific "site" is chosen in Online Vid? For example, connect the UK VPN (I have an account) when BBC iPlayer is launched. Then, disconnect the VPN when closing the channel. Possibly even a prompt, "Do you want to connect/disconnect from the VPN?"

Alternatively, does anyone know how to remotely activate and disconnect the VPN connection? My MePo is installed on XP PRO SP3 and I would liket to toggle the VPN from my laptop (without using RDP/Term Serv). Just want it to happen behind the scenes.

And finally, does anyone know a way to force a single application to use the VPN while others don't using XP? That is, I would only want MePo/Online Vid to use the VPN connection, but not other applications like sabnzbd. I have found potential solutions for win7/vista but not XP. Any ideas?

thanks,

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Using VPN for specific sites would require a very advanced network setup to only tunnel specific urls through that connection. I would suggest a different approch - use a proxy. In case of BBC site, there is a configuration option to set a proxy which would access the region protected content.

clobber

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2008
    Using VPN for specific sites would require a very advanced network setup to only tunnel specific urls through that connection..

In the interest of keeping things cheap, I have found a decent free VPN service provider with UK access. Therefore, I am willing to have all the traffic go through the particular VPN. That is, if I'm watching BBC iPlayer then that is the only thing my HTPC is doing so activate the UK VPN. If something else happens over the network, it will go through the UK. No need for specific URLs etc (which I agree would get crazy).

I have not been able to find a reliable UK proxy (but maybe I am missing something).

Think that is doable?

clobber

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2008
    I still don't know how to open a VPN configured on your PC via C#.

Haha - yeah, I have no idea how to do that. Was hoping you might!

@clobber: You can always use MultiShortcut plugin to set two buttons in MediaPortal that will execute external command to open and close VPN connection.

nircmd rasdial "MyVPN"

nircmd rashangup "MyVPN"

Thanks for the suggestion, I will investigate that.

schrej

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2007
    AW: VPN Toggle (Feature or Solution Request)

Hi,
    nevertheless I would also recommend using a proxy.
    If you would be able to enter a proxy by channel topic should be solved.
    Joerg

clobber

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2008
    @clobber: You can always use MultiShortcut plugin to set two buttons in MediaPortal that will execute external command to open and close VPN connection.

nircmd rasdial "MyVPN"

nircmd rashangup "MyVPN"

@offbyone: DotRas

@SilentException, would you be able to tell me how to do that? The MultiShortcut plugin forum is confusing. I'm running MePo 1.2.0. I could not even figure out which version of the plugin I need. Then what? How do I get the plugin to execute those commands?

Normally I would have figured all this out, but that forum is very confusing.

Thanks if you can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom