VSYNC options? (1 Viewer)

ErikLarsson

Portal Pro
May 9, 2006
Im been looking at many threads and also the release notes but i can't find a definite answer.

Jong on Reclock forum said:
Also, if you could allow an option to turn off the vsync code completely (as offered in ar-jar's code) users who wish to use Reclock vsync correction could do so with your renderer with Aero ON.
Owlsroot on Reclock forum said:
Thanks for the info/suggestions - I've just posted a trial version over at the MP forum with vsync correction enabled all the time, so we'll see if people like it :)
Um, im confused. Either there is a typo or your answer was not directed at him, right?

Im running windows 7 and Mediaportal and yesterday i confirmed that my setup can play 24p on 50hz perfectly (by speeding up). It played for 20 minutes but i know that without VSYNC it's both dependant on the timing when you start the movie (so i had to do the dreadful play+pause) and it's very prone to drifting out of sync. With Reclock handling VSYNC it will always repair this in case it happens.

I will try to let EVR handle the VSYNC and report back.

In short, my questions is:
Is there a way to turn VSYNC either off or on in the EVR renderer?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

ErikLarsson

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2006
    Initial testing shows that i get decent performance, but not perfect.

[size=+1]Test 1:[/size]
    • MPC
    • Overlay
    • Reclock VSYNC on
    720p x264 - Perfect playback, no stutter whatsoever (tested for 30 mins atleast).
    1080p h264 blu ray - Doesn't play

[size=+1]Test 2:[/size]
    • Mediaportal 1.2.0 alpha
    • EVR
    • Reclock VSYNC off (because it's not available, as expected)
    720p x264 - Decent performance, but some stutter here and there
    1080p h264 blu ray - Better performance, but there is still the occational stutter and it's enough to make me unsatisfied with it. This looks promising though.

[size=+1]Test 3:[/size]
    • PowerDVD 9
    • Not sure, EVR?
    • Reclock VSYNC off
    1080p h264 blu ray - Decent performance, but occational stutter

I do set my TV as the only monitor, using 50hz output and use reclock to speed up content. I have monitored CPU usage aswell and i don't think that is an issue.

I didn't have time to test everything i wanted yet, so i will test more and post a more detailed report including system specs etc...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    [size=+1]Test 1:[/size]
    • MPC
    • Overlay
    • Reclock VSYNC on
    720p x264 - Perfect playback, no stutter whatsoever (tested for 30 mins atleast).
    1080p h264 blu ray - Doesn't play

Please test with EVR as well since MP cannot be used with overlay for technical reasons.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You also must use the same video and audio codecs in your tests.
    Otherwise the results are quite useless since these codecs make or break smooth playback as well.

ErikLarsson

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2006
    Please test with EVR as well since MP cannot be used with overlay for technical reasons.
    I will try this again but i think i tried it once and had stuttering during playback.
    Otherwise the results are quite useless since these codecs make or break smooth playback as well.
    Yes, i will confirm this but i believe that the video codec is DTV-DVD in both MPC and MP (in PowerDVD it feels like it's more difficult to find out what is going on). I was planning to switch to CoreAVC since i've had luck with that in the past.

Seems like i need to be a bit more thorough:
    Jong at Reclock forum said:
    It takes Reclock a while (even a few hours) to really settle on the adaptations it needs to do.

Other post: Probably overkill. Certainly it willl be most of the way there much faster - witthin the hour. But even over an hour I think you can get a brief period of red/green flashiing when playback starts.

The goal i'm striving for is: Mediaportal, CoreAVC, EVR (with VSYNC on), DXVA on, Reclock (VSYNC off) speeding 23.975fps to 25 and audio re-encoded, playing both 720p x264 and 1080p h264 BD flawlessly. Sounds doable right?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Yes, i will confirm this but i believe that the video codec is DTV-DVD in both MPC and MP (in PowerDVD it feels like it's more difficult to find out what is going on).
    PowerDVD will use its own codec which is inbuilt and hidden from the rest of the system.
    And I would not bet money on MPC using W7 DTV-DVD....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom