Wake On LAN from outside Local network (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
I've just finished setting up ampdroid/webMP on my galaxy s2 and laptop clients so that I can access my media and tv server remotely.

I've forwarded port 4322 on my router and have signed up to a no-ip account so I don't have to worry about my ISP changing my routers external IP address, and everything is working really well both on my LAN and remotely over 3G .

The only problem I'm having now is that I can't wake my server from outside my LAN with magic packet. It works fine locally and I can make the server wake up from s3 state, but I can only assume that my router won't forward the magic packet service to the 10/100 network adapter from outside.

I can make it work if I untick the option 'only wake with magic packet' in my network adapter power settings, but with it configured like this I get endless unwanted wake events (which I can only assume is my router pinging the servers network adapter every now and then), which defeats the object of having the server in s3 power saving if its going to get woken up every half an hour when I'm not home.

Does anyone know a way around this or how to get my router (bt home hub 2) to pass magic packet through to my server pc from outside LAN?

Thanks in advance.

sand

Portal Pro
January 15, 2007
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
I have similar setup.
Problem I had is that router lost mac / ip address from arp list so when wake up signal was received from internet router didnt know to which pc to send wake command. Problem was solved by adding static arp list member (in this case tv server) to router arp list. Locally 3verything was working fine

If everything locally works ok that will fix external wake up.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
But I've set my server, phone and client laptop to have static up addresses (the router always assigns them the same 192.168.1.xx address). Shouldn't this work?

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
I have similar setup.
Problem I had is that router lost mac / ip address from arp list so when wake up signal was received from internet router didnt know to which pc to send wake command. Problem was solved by adding static arp list member (in this case tv server) to router arp list. Locally 3verything was working fine

If everything locally works ok that will fix external wake up.

Thanks for the reply, but looking at my router settings it looks like all the MAC and IP addresses for all my connected devices in the DHCP table are present and correct. They are also all on fixed IP addresses, so i dont think theres an there. Still cant WOL from outside my network though!

Lardy

Portal Pro
April 16, 2007
Home Country
Australia Australia
Your router's DHCP table and the router's ARP cache are not the same thing.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
@Lardy

It doesnt look like my router settings are that in depth where i can set a static arp for my server.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Ive hit a bit of a brick wall with the setup and there are hundreds of examples online where people are struggling to get it working but without a solution. Seems like the sort of thing that shouldnt be this difficult to set up.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Doh! Ok thanks for having a look for me. Can you recommend a wireless N router that would let me perform remote wake-ups? Dont want to spend mega bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom