BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @Brownard,

unfortunately the WOL testing was not successful on my site. The server would not wake up. Attached are logs from both clients I used for testing.

Cheers

Blue Max

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    unfortunately the WOL testing was not successful on my site.
    :( I'm running out of ideas. Would you be able to double check your network adapter settings/test with a known working solution, e.g. try waking with an external program that sends a WOL packet (a quick google turns up a few free ones) to rule out any external factors? I have seen some mention of issues with Win 10 and the use of the local broadcast address (255.255.255.255) so I could try using the specific broadcast address for your subnet, but you said it has previously worked with MP1 which as far as I can see uses that address, and it works OK for me here on Win 10.

There's also this in your logs which may be related
    [2017-01-29 11:10:56,504] [4771 ] [Main ] [WARN ] - SystemName: Could not retrieve host alias/address list from DNS (hostName: 192.168.113.9)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @BlueMax1916 , are you familiar with network sniffers? I would suggest to install WireShark on the server, then send the client to sleep and resume. You should then see the client's attempts on the server to send the magic package to the broadcast address. You could also try to disable the client's firewall for testing purposes just in case it is blocking the client's port 9 UDP accesses.

One thing that comes to my mind is that AVM Fritzbox routers in Germany often would not work with x.x.x.255. But since you mentioned that a MP1 client is waking up the server, this would normally rule out.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have two MP1 clients (HTPC 1 and 2, see my system specs) which wake up the server. Both have local TV cards so for them the server is only used as a data storage for video, audio and image files. Both MP1 clients are configured for WOL via MAC adress in MP1 Configuration. Also both use Moving Pictures and MP TV-Series. Both can wake up the server every time they need to.

The server has its own TV card and is running as a MP2 server for testing purposes for the MP2 clients. Two PC different to the MP1 clients are configured as MP2 clients for testing.

Also all PC are connected via a dedicated network switch and located behind a separate firewall PC which is a router and DHCP server for all clients of my network. The outgoing connection of my firewall PC is connected to a FRITZ!Box, which is used as a plain modem. So the members of my network do not 'see' the FRITZ!Box.

As Brownard suggests I will try with an external program. Also I will disable the client's firewall and have a look with WireShark as HTPCSourcer suggests. The name resolving issue indicated in the logs is weird though as the Firewall PC distributes addresses via DHCP and each client gets always the same fixed IP address from the DHCP server. The MP2 server has a fixed IP set in Windows network settings. I can ping the server with its host name from the clients. So there should be no name resolving issue.

I will report back.

Cheers

Blue Max

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @Brownard : i have on message about :
    [AMQ 'WakeOnLanPlugin'] [WARN ] - WakeOnLanClient: Unable to determine hardware address for IP address 'fe80::983c:afa7:a34c:c3e4'

this address correspond to the IPV6 locally

my server card :
    Adresse IPv4: 192.168.1.9
    Masque de sous-réseau IPv4: 255.255.255.0
    Adresse IPv6: 2a01:cb04:73c:8e00:983c:afa7:a34c:c3e4
    Adresse IPv6 temporaire: 2a01:cb04:73c:8e00:8837:ddd8:2355:677d
    Adresse IPv6 locale de lien: fe80::983c:afa7:a34c:c3e4%2

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @Brownard :
    on my IPv6, the missing part is "%2" at the end
    fe80::983c:afa7:a34c:c3e4%2

for information (also for me):
    the "%2" correspond to the network interface where is used this IP
    so for me the détail is :
    Network interface : eth2
    IPv6 : fe80::983c:afa7:a34c:c3e4

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Anything new?
    Sorry,

life is hitting me in the face :(

I set up WireShark but first I need to understand how it works. The standard filters are weird or seem to be. The documentation is there but it is a time consuming task. As soon as I have some spare time I will continue.

Cheers

Blue Max

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok,

this morning I made a try. In the attachment there is the Wireshark recording. I started the server, started the Wireshark recording usning the pre-defined IPv4 filter and then I started the client. After the client had booted into Windows 10 I started the MP 2.1 client and closed it again. I can not make out waht is important in the recordings. I hope it is helpful for you. IP 192.168.113.9 is the MP2 Server, 192.168.113.23 is the client.

Cheers

Blue Max

Attachments

• WireShark Recording MP2-Server 20170211-0954.zip
      1 MB

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Brownard @HTPCSourcer

the WOL feature does work now after installation of MP2.1 Pre 2. The server PC is waking up while the MP2 client software is starting on the client PC. That is o.k. for me as the server PC does not need to start up while the client PC is booting into Windows. Some of the MP2 clients here will be used only occasionally for consuming media, they are no dedicated HTPC. So the server does not need to wake up every time such a client PC is started. Only when MP2 client software itself is started.

I do not know why this did not work on MP 2.1 Pre 1. Maybe the installation was faulty in that respect.

I will observe this for a while if this is reliable.

Cheers

Blue Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom