Wakeup MediaPortal to record TV (1 Viewer)

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Hi,

How can I configure my computer to wakeup from standby to record tv?

In DVBViewer, this part was very confusing and frustrating, unfortunately I have currently
same kind of a feelings from MediaPortal. So I am going to save my nerves and ask you
before I do any more investigation :)

I've already found two plugins which are somehow related (?)

MediaPortal Standby Tool
Power Scheduler

Which one I should use?

My computer is not only for MediaPortal, I do various other task with it -- so I suppose windows should
figure out when it is good time to go to sleep, not MediaPortal

(1) I just want MediaPortal to figure out, when it is good time to wake up. Windows will decide when to take a nap.
(2) I think it would be nice if MediaPortal UI would be closed when computer goes to sleep
(3) It would be great if MediaPortal UI would not be started when computer resumes, I suppose it is not needed
for recording?

I think my computer should wake up from standby (s3) just fine. So only the MediaPortal part is missing.
I would like my computer to go to hibernate (s4), but I am not sure if it is waking up from that state. So if you have
some ideas for this too, I am listening. I've seen MCE Standby Tool referred in various places, so I was planning to
try that next.

Thanks! :)

Br,
Sohvaperuna

:D

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Thanks!

Question 1: Lets say that I want to surf internet with the same machine. So I will add iexporer.exe to the exception list. How about if I
forget the iexporer.exe open, does it then mean that the computer will never go to sleep?

Question 2: If I remeber correctly, there was also third shutdown option, "stay up". Where this is used?

Question 3: If I would like to windows to decide when to go sleep, is there a way to get it working properly?
For example I configure windows so that it goes to sleep if computer has been idle for 30min. I haven't use computer for
30min, but MediaPortal services are recording or streaming, does it prevent windows to go to sleep mode?

:D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    forget the iexporer.exe open, does it then mean that the computer will never go to sleep?

Yes

Question 2: If I remeber correctly, there was also third shutdown option, "stay up". Where this is used?

Some along the lines of a fulltime server, never totally understood this, but I take its regarding the Powerscheduler and powerscheduler plugin talking to each other and was designed for a multiseat environment.

Question 3: If I would like to windows to decide when to go sleep

Windows power settings need to be disabled for powerscheduler to work correctly.

The only way to use Windows Power options and not have powerscheduler enabled at all, is to use ForTheRecord, this 3rd party extension does use normal power settings.

if you want full radio support, then the above does not work without a lot of fiddling, but it's ability to control recordings is excellent.

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    I installed ForTheRecord and configured it. Then I start MediaPortal -> unable to watch TV anymore. It does not find any channels anymore.

Then I decided to disable plugins from TV service and MediaPortal -> Still no channels.
    I moved plugins from TV service and MediaPortal to other folder -> Still no channels.

I uninstalled ForTheRecord -> Channels work again.

Any ideas?

I was planning to take the latest source codes of ForTheRecord and try to compile by myself.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did the channels appear in FTR's management console, could you see the channels linked within the TVServer\plugin\FTR, which of course you did enable.

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Couldn't see channels :(

Plugin was enabled and it managed to connect to ForTheRecord service. I tried to press refresh in FTR plugin's channel tab, but no luck.

I tried it with DVB-EPG selected and not selected. .. no change.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    If you use the DVB-EPG sync feature you'll have to wait a little bit for it to actually sync. A restart of the TV service may help too.

Also, make sure you have the auto-creation of channels turned on as well, otherwise it won't sync anything as it can't find any linked channels.

Sohvaperuna

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Now I got ForTheRecord working, almost.

Only problem currently is;

I have two DVB-C cards, another one is recording. I can see from Manual Control that user ForTheRecord9 is recording. Another card is free.

Then I start MediaPortal and go for watching TV -> immediately freezes.
    Manual Control shows that MediaPortal connected to another card, user was something like FTRLive*.
    After a while, another card is freed (ForTheRecord9 is still recording). MediaPortal stays freezed.

Update: If I go to FTR MC -> Live TV -> Start Live TV. It opens VLC player but VLC does not show anything.
    I tried that same Start Live TV before and then it was working just fine.

Update2: Now when I was watching Live TV from MediaPortal and started recording from FTR. It stopped Live TV but then I selected the channel again, it was working.
    How FTR / MediaPortal decides which card to use? When FTR started recording, it started to use the card which was used, not the one which was free.

- Sohvaperuna

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom