Wakeup, scheduled recording and NOT auto-activate TV - how to? (1 Viewer)

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
Hi all.
I use singleseat setup with MP 1.2.3
1. MP configured (via PowerScheduler) to sleep after 5 minutes of idling
2. MP configured to activate TV as soon as i go to MyTV ( = use TV button on remote).
So if no video or TV is shown (i.e. MP is idling) - HTPC goes standby.

Constellation 1:
HTPC is on, MP is in MyVideos. I press "power" on my remote, HTPC goes standby.
When scheduled record should happen - HTPC wakes up, records all it has to, ComSkip does its job, and after all finished and +5 minutes idling HTPC goes standby. So far so good.

Constellation 2:
HTPC is on, MP is in TV fullscreen mode. I press "power" on my remote, HTPC goes standby.
When scheduled record should happen - HTPC wakes up, records all it has to, ComSkip does its job. From here is a difference to case 1: as MP went standby while TV was active, after resuming from standby TV automatically turns on. So from this point MP never idles because of TV is shown -> HTPC eats energy though nobody watching TV now.
HTPC energy consumption isn't a big deal, but connected to 50" plazma that switches on together with HTPC it can be expensive.

SO how do you solve this problem (if there is any solution available) ?
Now i use quite complex scripts with EventGhost, but thought that i am not alone with this problem, and probably there is more elegant solution for this?
Thanks in advance.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I just hit stop playing and let the pc go to sleep on its idle timeout, power buttons are disabled for power off\sleep in windows so no accidental shutdowns can occur.

Works well for me anyway :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I just hit stop playing and let the pc go to sleep on its idle timeout, power buttons are disabled for power off\sleep in windows so no accidental shutdowns can occur.

I have been using same approach for many years without no issues.

Last edited:

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    try to tell it to your wife , or even better - to her mom visiting you twice a year. "do not switch TV off, just press STOP twice" :cautious:
    Seriously: is there any chance for PowerScheduler to recognize that he was the reason of wakeup and do not activate TV in that case?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't know if that is possible. This desired behaviour falls in the gap between the functions of PS and the TV plugin.
    On one hand, it would need to be the TV plugin that checks the wakeup reason since the TV plugin is responsible for auto-activating TV...
    ...but on the other hand, PS is a plugin - it is not necessarily so good to introduce a dependency to another plugin in the TV plugin.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    my current solution is to send "stop" twice to MP if wakeup reason wasn't my remote. It is done it via EventGhost: calling "powercfg -lastwake" and searching my remote name "X10" in returned string; if not found - send keyboard shortcut for STOP to MP window.
    Actually we can do the same in TV plugin, but instead of searching remote name we can search for the string that comes when powerScheduler wakes HTPC up - this is the dependency we do not want, as mm said.
    Is it possible then to send any commands from powerscheduler to MP? it should be done in PS client (MP plugin), as PS TVService plugin has no idea where clients can be..
    Is there any other way to achieve my goal? i can try to implement it by myself, if we clear all details and possible problems before.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    auto powering on a plasma during unattended recordings would be a bad idea.
    I also have plasma at one of my rigs, and I dont dare to let my "green" intelligent power distributor turn on the plasma.

burn in's etc :)

back on topic.

I guess you have the setting "remember last active module" activated.

so when htpc resumes for PS stuff it initiates tvplugin.
    its then up to the tvplugin to actually decide wether or not to start a channel.

it could query the tvservice about "what initiated the resume".
    so if tvservice could manage the reason for the resume, then I guess tvplugin could retrieve this state.

/gibman

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom