[WANTED] Tutorial how 2 rip DVD series perfectly (1 Viewer)

King-S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Near Frankfurt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello there!

I have many original DVD Series that I want to save on my server so that they are accessable from my livingroom and bedroom. My server "only" has 1TB and 400GB free. So I want to rip all DVDs with these features:

• max. 400-450MB per Episode
    • German and English
    • Subtitles not necessary
    • Output Format DivX / XVid
    • Sound if AC-3 then AC-3 else normal mp3 quality

I just ripped "Dr. House" this was fine. "Ghost Whisperer" instead wasn't fine. It could not played back (codec or file error - dunno)

So I please help me with a good guideline. This would be very nice!

Thank you!

King-S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2008
    Near Frankfurt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes thank. But this is the tool I converted "Dr. House" / "GhostWhisperer" with. I can't figure out, what I did wrong... This is my problem...

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi King-S!

First ripp the episodes with MakeMKV! Afret that you can convert the files with Agk or Handbrake to DiVX!

Best regards

Helios

MrLobster

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I used "DVD Decrypter" to get a copy of the dvd to my harddrive, then used Handbrake to encode to a 1gb avi file.

However I got stuck on a few dvd just not encoding (quits out after 15.2mb).

I know that DVD Decrypter is pretty old (well the version I got, 2005), so I went in search of an alternative.

I found that DVDFab is free to use for ripping basic DVD.

So now i'm using DVDFab (ripping at 100% quality), then encode with handbrake.

It could take between 1 to 2 hours to encode (handbrake) a full 2 hour movie, so for the usual 4 episodes per disc your looking at 3-4 hours ish (at 350mb ish).

I want to rip 24 (seasons 1-6), babylon 5 (Seasons 1-5), Firefly (S1), and many others. But looking at the time it takes slighty puts me off :(

sjcato

Portal Member
    May 28, 2007
    No idea if this is the problem you are having King, but one of the things beginners sometimes miss when ripping TV DVDs is the need to separate the episodes. You need to create a separate directory for each episode and rip just the DVD contents for that episode - without any menus - to that directory before running AutoGK. I have seen people who have tried to throw the whole DVD to AutoGK, menus, extras etc and wonder why they get unexpected results. I often use DVDShrink (free) for this episode separation (no shrinking is actually done).

In terms of ripping - if you can get away with DVDDecryptor that is fine, but eventually you will find DVDs where it won't work (it is no longer kept up to date) - so you will probably end up with either AnyDVD or DVDFab in your toolbox.

MrLobster

Portal Pro
    July 21, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Using handbrake, you can select the Espisode you wish to rip, and add it to the queue system.

Rip the entire Series DVD to you HD using DVDFab (set at 100% quality, you can delete the rip after the encode is finished).

Then with handbrake:
    1) Select dvd location on your HD.
    2) Select settings for encoding Video/Audio.
    3) Select episode from the list.
    4) Select the desination file name for first episode, in my case "Babylon 5 S01E01" (after the first episode it should just be a matter of changing the episode number digit S01Exx).
    5) Add to queue.
    6) Repeat from step #3 for every episode.
    7) Once all episodes are in the queue, click the encode button (Queue Window).
    8) Go mow the lawn, chat to the wife/partner/friend, watch tv, wait a long time....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom