Warning to Windows 7 Testers (1 Viewer)

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As one of the German translators for Windows 7 I now have the experience for more than 7 months with this OS and I can only say that it IS much more reliable than Vista ever will be, and the Open Beta Test Version is more stable, reliable and much faster as Vista. And YES - MPwith the latest SVN runs absolutely smoothly.
    So I fully agree with midiboy.

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi catavolt!

As one of the German translators for Windows 7 I now have the experience for more than 7 months with this OS and I can only say that it IS much more reliable than Vista ever will be, and the Open Beta Test Version is more stable, reliable and much faster as Vista. And YES - MPwith the latest SVN runs absolutely smoothly.
    So I fully agree with midiboy.

OK catavolt, next week i will get my new case! Then, i think, its a good time to do a fresh install! You can see my Hardware! What would you commend, Windows 7/32 or 64 bit?

Best regards
    Helios

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Helios61:
    In that case I would use the 64 bit. Be sure to use the correct RAMs. Maybe you will have trouble with the ATI graphics as seen in a lot of forum threads.
    I use NVidia and all works fine.

Pretoriano

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2007
    Roma, Italia
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    Windows 7&Ati

Helios61:catavolt is right ,i have an Ati Radeon HD4870 and have some issues with the "preview driver" from ATI so maybe you better wait for a new release from ATI before using Windows 7.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi guys,

yeah, I love Windows 7 already. Have been using it for a few days now and believe it or not, it is extremely stable for a beta and much much better than vista. MP also works fine on it, at least for the few things I use it for (except MovingPictures unfortunately)

Will you update Moving Pictures soon to run properly on W7 ? Would love it ...
    Thanks,
    Alex

Normally I would say no, we will not support beta products like Windows 7, however there have been some other issues recently identified with the cover art logic that we are planning to fix in Moving Pictures 0.7. So it is fairly likely that the changes planned actually will fix any issues with Windows 7 as well. I am not guaranteeing anything, and again this is not the primary goal, but we have a tester running Windows 7 on his HTPC box, so I'll update you guys as progress is made.

midiboy

Portal Pro
    March 14, 2005
    Hi guys,

that looks great, thanks fforde! Won´t have to deal with Vista anymore. Windows 7 is here to stay.
    As for Helios61 question ...

I have 8GB RAM in my HTPC so with Vista I went 64bit. However, for the Windows 7 beta I decided to go with the 32bit version because the ATI preview driver is not digitally signed so won´t work on the 64bit Windows unless you manually change that in the boot options on each and every Windows boot.

As far as I know there is no fix for this, please correct me if I am wrong :)

And concerning the ATI driver ...

Yes, there are a few issues. I uninstalled CCC because it made my life hell with two displays. The driver itself is ok, however, I sometimes have issues in combination with Powerstrip (display corruption etc.) but nothing extremely disturbing ... :)

Bye,
    Alex

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I think I'll stay on Windows XP prepped for as small footprint as possible. A fresh install only uses 75-80 MB RAM (without MediaPortal of course). Now THAT'S effecient ;)

I have Vista on my laptop but I really just want as simple an OS as possible that can manage to run MediaPortal. If MediaPortal would run on Windows 2000 I would do that!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I think I'll stay on Windows XP prepped for as small footprint as possible. A fresh install only uses 75-80 MB RAM (without MediaPortal of course). Now THAT'S effecient ;)

I have Vista on my laptop but I really just want as simple an OS as possible that can manage to run MediaPortal. If MediaPortal would run on Windows 2000 I would do that!

You need to remember that Vista has improved audio and video playback (both in kernel side & user mode side) which are main concerns when it comes to selecting an OS for HTPC application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom