watching recorded tv over wifi (1 Viewer)

tachtevrenidis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I transitioned from winmce to MePo. In mce, I would record tv shows and then watch them on my laptop via wifi in vlc (just open the file over a mapped drive). That worked out very well (wifi is 11a). With MePo the files appear to be the same size (per hour) as winmce (so same load on wifi) but opening them via UNC over wifi in vlc results in an unwatchable experience (play 1 second of video then freeze for 3-4 seconds). That makes me think the video format in MePo is not meant to be read over a wifi connection (just speculating). Is there somebody who is doing something similar or can shed some light here (maybe alternative solutions). Keep in mind that not all clients run windows (so I can't install MePo client on them).

thanks!

zappahey

November 30, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Is it possible that it's set to transcode the video stream rather than streaming directly?

tachtevrenidis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2013
Home Country
I am not 100% sure but I don't think so. When I try to play through WMP, I get the same results though and I am pretty sure WMP is not trying to transcode.

zappahey

November 30, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I get the same thing, it pauses and breaks up on VLC. However, I can play SD content on WMP when I connect over wireless N. WMP also breaks up over wireless G. I can play all .ts content just fine when I stream from my Vu + duo, which makes it all a bit odd.

tachtevrenidis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2013
Home Country
just installed mpextended and webmp, it seems to work well. Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom