Watching TV: Strong reds 'vibrate'. (1 Viewer)

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
June 27, 2008
Geneva, Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Windows Version: Vista Home Premium SP1
CPU Type: Intel Core2 Duo E7200 2.53Ghz
HDD: WDC 750GB
Memory: 4GM RAM
Motherboard: Asus P5N-EM HDMI
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro
Video Card Driver: 8.501.0.0
1. TV Card: Technisat SkyStar HD2
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: 1.1.0.402
2. TV Card: Hauppage WinTV
2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
HTPC Case: Antec Black
Remote: Logitec Harmony 650
TV: Sharp 52"
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I have recently noticed that when watching live TV, any deep reds seem to flicker. This is most obvious watching football - on a close-up of a player, his shirt appears to be moving as if blowing in the wind (I've checked - it is not wind!). This is also noticeable when players are moving fast, and I have seen it in other examples with strong reds - e.g. a glass of wine being poured. I have only noticed this with red, not with other colours.

Any ideas what might be causing this or how I can troubleshoot? I have tried other codecs which don't seem to make any difference. I am at a loss as to what to try next.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi SwissBuster

If you're using digital tuners then the things to check are codecs and also (perhaps more importantly) TV and video card colour and post-processing settings.

mm

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Any ideas what might be causing this or how I can troubleshoot? I have tried other codecs which don't seem to make any difference. I am at a loss as to what to try next.

After a clean instalation of Windows 7 and playing with various settings and codecs, I have a stable system also reliably displaying HD (a first for me!). However, the flickering reds are back, but ONLY on SD channels - HD displays perfectly. I guess this is artifact of trying to display a low-res image on a full HD screen, but it baffles me. Any ideas?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again SwissBuster

I hope you are well! :)
    If it is only on HD channels now then check: are you using the same codecs for MPEG and h.264/AVC video on the TV tab in the "codecs and renderer" section of MediaPortal configuration? What happens if you make a recording of a channel that exhibits the problem and play it in other video software like VLC?

mm

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks, MM.

Actually, it is only SD which flickers, not HD, which makes it all a bit mysterious - I would have expected HD to cause issues. The codecs for HD and SD are the same (FFDshow), but I will try some others to see if I can improve the image (completely new clean install on my Media PC over Xmas).

Good idea on recording a show and watching in another player (or even another codec) - just need to find a suitable show to record!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom