Ways to do Automated conversion of TV Recordings (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm just setting up my brother's PC and was planning to have a subfolder for him to put any TV Recordings he wants to compress (probably after editing with VideoReDo) into and have MCE Buddy watch this folder and compress anything it finds overnight, when he's not using the PC.

I just did a test using MP4 Normal however and it only compressed from 1.32GB to 800MB, which I don't think is particularly good, especially as I found in the past that MP4 can give smaller files than DivX/XviD for equal or better quality, so I'd think it could go at least to 50% of the original filesize and still be OK (bearing in mind it's only SD Freeview to start with).

So does anyone know if I can change something in MCE Buddy to achieve this, or if not, an alternative programme to do it. Ideally it needs to be automated and watch a folder like MCE Buddy and only convert overnight but I guess if there's nothing suitable, then if he can just click a shortcut before he goes to bed that will start converting everything in the folder, that will be OK. Two features that MCE Buddy has that I think will be essential though are a) archiving the original files once converted to another sub-folder, so that if it's in the middle of converting when my brother needs to use the PC and he has to stop it, it will restart that conversion next time he starts it as it won't have moved the file (actually I guess a Pause button would be good so that he can avoid having to restart) and b) using a temp folder for the conversion (which will be on a 2nd HDD) before copying the finished file back to a folder (a different one to where the original files are) on the 1st HDD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom