Web Interface...... (1 Viewer)

spo

Portal Member
September 23, 2004
Denmark, 56.0500N 10.0000E
I had been waiting for areal web interface - and there have been some trying to solve this - but none (as I know) has, what I want.

Therefore I am working on something for myself at the moment - but I will like to share it with others - if interest?

There still things to do - first of all the the Radio, Videos and Photos part of the web - but hopefully I will be finished with the first version in a week or so.

Just to show a little of the work until now:

My program listning (sorry - it's danish):
listnings4.jpg

My schedule function:
listnings2.jpg

My music:
music.jpg

Recordings:
recordings.jpg

and recorded:
recorded.jpg

Let me know if you can use it or not - maybee you have some ideas for further implementations.

And yes: I know the theme is a copy from somewhere.... :oops:

jadz

Portal Pro
August 30, 2004
Canada
Can you give some technical details on what you are doing.

You have PHP pages reading the XML files that mediaportal uses. What features are currently working for you?

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    It would be neat if MP had web services to use. Therefore it leaves it open to any type of UI and custom applications to interact with MP.

p.s. looks really good.

spo

Portal Member
    September 23, 2004
    A little technical infos.....

I'm using php to build the pages, and to access the sqlite bases, where all the MediaPortal stuff is stored.

Until now this works:

listnings: can see all available in the base, can see which is scheduled for recording and of course change the schedules or create new ones.

recordings: can check what have been recorded, and what should be recorded in the future, and remove them here to, if I don't want to record them anyway.

recorded: can see everything recorded, and if compressed in post process I am able to watch them over the web.

music: Go through all my mp3 files (directory listning based on artist and album) and play them over the web. Playlists are not implemented yet.

spo

Portal Member
    September 23, 2004
    Good point jadz

We need a way to get 'OnRecordingsChanged' changed.... :cry:

But for me this is not a big problem :D

I only plan to use the web interface when not home. And it will be easy to make changes made on the web handle a little stop/start of Media Portal to get the bases read again.

But of course it would be nice if we could tell Media Portal that something has changed.

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    spo said:
    music: Go through all my mp3 files (directory listning based on artist and album) and play them over the web. Playlists are not implemented yet.

Hi spo, nice looking app.

Just a question, what do you mean by "play them over the web"? Do you mean you can make MP play them on the MP computer (that is, control MP using the web interface)? Or do you mean you can stream them over the network to the computer you are browsing on and play them there?

The reason I'm asking this is that there seems to be some requests for a web service to control MP (e.g. tell it to re-read the recording database, play a specific song, change settings, etc). I'm thinking of using .NET remoting or MSMQ to accomplish this, but I don't have much time so I don't think I will start this. Any one else wanna have a crack? .net remoting or MSMQ should do the trick. I'm thinking of having a non-GUI plugin in MP that the web service can communicate with.

This web service will make your web interface work properly and have more features, plus it may open doors for a pocket pc controlling app.

my 2 cents

Sam

spo

Portal Member
    September 23, 2004
    Hi samuel337 and others.....

What I'm able to with my little web thing, is to get in touch with all (most of) the stuff back home on my MP - meaning I can listening and see the stuff through a browser client - but not control directly, what's going on at home. Scheduling of new program, cleaning up etc are some thing I am able to control - but I can't control what's playing in my speakers back home ( I can't hear it anyway! ).

The problems with MP not polling for updates in the databases have I solved in a quite simle manner: I simply check whether or not it's ok to restart the MP - and if, then let my scripts do this, to get MP updated.
    - I can't see if any is using the MP at the moment, but at least I can see if there is freetime between the recordings :)

If I really need to control the MP remotely, I would go for a vnc solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom