Web Interface...... (1 Viewer)

Cherryman

Portal Member
September 11, 2004
Hmm i would like to see (web)control of wat MP does at location. Then i would be able to control it with my touchscreesn around the house.. But the other way around is also good.. Then i can play at the touchscreens different media (will that be possible in the future ?) (room 1 music a) room 2 music b, kitchen movie a, etc)
Hmm ik think i dream away to soon.. anyway keep up the good work !

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Cherryman said:
Hmm i would like to see (web)control of wat MP does at location. Then i would be able to control it with my touchscreesn around the house..

That's precisely why I would like to see a web service be developed, I'm sick of remotes that don't have enough buttons, and having to type using remote keys. ;-)

Cherryman said:
But the other way around is also good.. Then i can play at the touchscreens different media (will that be possible in the future ?) (room 1 music a) room 2 music b, kitchen movie a, etc)

You can already do this with music. There are numerous streaming software apps available. What you do is, you install it on your MP (or the computer with your music on it) and it acts as a web server. On the computers you want to listen to music on, connect to the web server and you can stream music from it. You can do this on a number of computers, all playing different music if you like. I've got this implemented for a while on mine, my favourite software right now is Squeezebox. Check it out at www.slimdevices.com. The software is free and doesn't require the actual squeezebox to operate.

HTH

Sam

ojo

Portal Member
September 19, 2004
Ulstrup, Denmark
Hi,

Another missed point of such webservices would also be integration. Working fulltime integration numerous of applications thru databases is not a funny job. It pays the bills, but small changes into the one application (and maybe datalayout) causes a multitude of problems in surrounding apps.

If a webservice interface was developed the encapsulation of logic would provide a safe haven for developing such a nice looking web-app as this. Remember everytime the internals of MP gets changed (could be database, business logic, or new features) the webservices would be part of a new release, and therefore a safe integration point.

It can be done going directly to the database, but I for one woudn't regard is as "interesting coding" after just a couple of new MP releases.

Ojo

usbrit

Portal Member
April 22, 2004
The other thing this would allow us to do is answer the question of controlling MP with Pocket pc devices. A web front end could run on the hand held allowing true full service remote over wifi.
usbrit

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    To anyone with XP Home and is playing with this (like me), the Restart MP functions won't work. But it can be fixed...

- taskkill is only available with XP Professional, you'll have to change the .bat files content to "tskill mediaportal /a"

- Neither is tasklist (used in the controlMP file), you'll need to download a it. Get it from http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/svchost.htm

Jean-Max

Portal Pro
    October 20, 2004
    FRANCE
    spo said:
    Therefore I am working on something for myself at the moment - but I will like to share it with others - if interest?
    Congratulations ! Very Nice job :)

Now I can dream ! :
    Pilot from the LCD screen of my Ipronto remote, the Media Portal Front end !
    Do you think it would be possible ?
    (Ipronto can access (with feed back) to any html page on Intranet or Internet, from it's WiFi card)
    Does anyone, here, has tried this Html Media Portal access from an Ipronto ?
    Thanks for any experience, idea, help or link ! :)

But, SPO, in your downloaded MP.zip, I did't find any source code, only setups parametrers to Apache web server ; is-it all we have to do ?
    Thanks ;)

Best regards from France

Jean-Max

Portal Pro
    October 20, 2004
    FRANCE
    Cherryman said:
    Hmm i would like to see (web)control of wat MP does at location. Then i would be able to control it with my touchscreesn around the house.. But the other way around is also good.. Then i can play at the touchscreens different media (will that be possible in the future ?) (room 1 music a) room 2 music b, kitchen movie a, etc)
    Yes , it's exactly what I dream with my Ipronto remote :) :)

jadz

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2004
    Canada
    Jean-Max said:
    Cherryman said:
    Yes , it's exactly what I dream with my Ipronto remote :) :)

Can't you run a WinLIRC server on your iPronto remote and just have MediaPortal listen to it?

Jean-Max

Portal Pro
    October 20, 2004
    FRANCE
    jadz said:
    Can't you run a WinLIRC server on your iPronto remote and just have MediaPortal listen to it?
    We cannot add on a Ipronto any soft
    Ipronto can have a bidirectionnal surf on html pages on Internet or local network, and send monodirectionnal IR and Wifi orders to any device...

WinLIRC suppose 2 elements : one server on the HTPC, one viewer on a distant PC ; Ipronto is not a "tablet Pc like" ..

The problem is a bi-directional communication between Ipronto and an Html server inside HTPC , the html pages being the front end pages of the HTPC (Media Portal)

???

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom