webepg without tv server? or, how to add tv server to existing installation? (1 Viewer)

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I don't have a TV card so i haven't installed MP with the TV server option. however i would like to get the webepg plugin working, as the epg on our satellite box is a bit rubbish.

it seems that i don't have the webepg plugin unless i install the TV server. running the installation process to upgrade MP doesn't offer me the choice of installing the TV server which appears when making a fresh install, so i cannot seem to be able to add it to the existing install.

i'd really like to avoid doing a clean install of MP if possible. is there a way i can get webepg running on my existing install? thanks

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I am not sure it will work.

The EPG will only show the data for channels which have been mapped between the EPG plugin with real channels which have been tuned using the a real card by the TVServer. With no TV Card I don't think you will have a mechanism to display any data. Sorry!

Can you not buy a really cheap second had DVB-S pci card from ebay or somewhere and put it in your system. You can still add encrypted channels and DVB-S2 channels (I think) to your list of channels to get the EPG for those channels to display EPG data (even if MP can't then play them). You can also then record TV with it too!

With regards to the installation process, I suspect that if you tell to to install the server only, then it "should" leave the client side alone.

Robbo100

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    so there's no way to get a working TV guide page on MP without adding a TV card? that's a shame. would be a useful feature.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Statick

It can be done. :)
    Of course, you would have to install TV Server for a start. Then you would have to add all the channels to TV Server's channel list manually (because they can't be scanned in without a tuner obviously). No need to create tuning details, but it would still be a little tedious. If you can manage a database, you could write a script to automate it. Whatever you do, once you've created the channels *SAVE THEM* (ie. export, and save the export somewhere safe) - you don't want to have to do it more than once! Once in TV Server, you can group them, order them, give them logos etc. like "real" channels. :D

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom