Weird vibration in thick bands only in TV with VMR9, not DVD (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Area: Media Portal, My TV
    MP Version: CVS 22.oct. 19:22 and at least since 1.3
    Skin: MCE
    Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
    CPU Type: AMD 3000+ Venice
    Memory: 2x256MB Kingston value
    Motherboard Chipset: Uli 1695 ( Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 mobo )
    Video Card: Ati X700 256MB 128-bit memory interface at 250Mhz/400 mhz core (not overclocked, there are just many different X700's so i thought id mention the core/mem speeds)
    Video Card Driver: latest official Ati driver
    Video Card Resolution: 720x576@50hz interlaced output via VGA->SCART to CRT TV.
    Video Render Type: VMR9
    Video Codec Type & Version: doesnt matter
    Audio Codec Type & Version: doesnt matter
    TV Card: Hauppage 150MCE
    TV Card Type: hardware
    TV Card Driver: latest

Synopsis:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Previously i used another motherboard with onboard graphics with Media portal and i had 2 different issues with VMR9: one was 'normal' tearing in both DVD and TV playback, and one was a banding/blocked tearing/vibration in TV only, where every other blocks of lines seemed to be offset, similar to interlace ghosting except in most thicker bands/blocks. Before, i used overlay instead which removed the problem, but due to OSD problems with overlay, i have now changed my motherboard and im using a better graphics card. I have no 'normal' tearing now in VMR9, *BUT* i still have this banded tearing/vibration when watching TV(DVD works), timeshifted or not. It occurs mostly when there is alot of motion, but it is *not* the normal interlacing effect.

I am using a VGA->SCART adapter, and i have tried turning tiling on/off to no avail. I considered whether or not the TV might be at fall, but i have watched many DVD's using the same codecs as for TV(also tried others on TV) and i have never seen this problem. DVD playback is perfect, so i find it hard to believe that its the TV thats causing this.
    On the other hand, when i log in via VNC, the images i see does not show this behavior, they are just showing normal interlacing effects.

Im pretty desperate, as i just used a lot of money to get VMR9 working properly and now i have this weird problem. Any help is appreciated, even if its just some comforting words :)

I have tried illustrating the problem below:

'real' image:
    ------****------
    ------****------
    ------****------
    ------****------
    ------****------
    ------****------
    etc.

interlacing artifact:
    ------****------
    ----****--------
    ------****------
    ----****--------
    ------****------
    ----****--------
    etc.

What im seeing:
    ------****------
    ------****------
    ------****------
    ----****------
    ----****------
    ----****------
    ------****------
    ------****------
    ------****------

EDIT:

I managed to re-create the problem in Zoom player when using the VMR9 renderer, and playing back an MPEG-2 file captured from another TV program. To my surprise, when i pause the playback the artifact is clearly visible. I took a screenshot http://www.itu.dk/people/petert/_/banding.PNG.

The image is from Gremlins 2, showing a rotating door gone weird. If you look at the vertical lines, you will see that they are broken up as i indicated above.

I guess this is not directly a Media Portal problem, but maybe just a general VMR problem. Even so, i would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me out.

From experimenting with Zoom player, it seems the problem disappears when the video is display 1:1 and becomes terrible if the image is scaled in any way, but even so it happens all the time in Media Portal.

EDIT 2:
    I now tried playing some Divx or Xvid movie i had, and it plays perfectly, no artifacts. However, if i play one of the files captured from WinTV 2000 using the PVR-150MCE also using my video, i get the problem!
    This is driving me crazy ;(

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I managed to solve it for my Hauppage PVR-150MCE, but not for my Cinergy TV 400. I found out that the version of WinDVD i had installed was expired, and hence the intervideo codec wasnt being used. I installed the full version of WinDVD and the problem disappeared. I suppose the other codecs cant handle interlaced output to VMR properly, but the intervideo codec can.

However, it still happens with my Cinergy 400 card, which doesnt use the Intervideo codec, since it doesnt output MPEG-2. Ill take that issue in another topic, and leave this information for anyone else experiencing the same problems.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom