What do i do with .xml file for remote (1 Viewer)

Michael7

Portal Member
October 6, 2014
Co, Armagh, Northern Ireland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Vista MCE VCR 1100 remote. Someone has the same remote and has posted their xml file so that others can use. Where do I put this file. I get lots of people saying thanks for the file but never say what they have done with the it. :(

Thanks,
Michael

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Michael

MediaPortal has a bunch of XML files. Is is a bit hard to help you unless you can specify which XML file you're talking about. ;)

Regards,
    mm

Michael7

Portal Member
    October 6, 2014
    Home Country
    I have read a readme which says Install Message plugin, Install Eventghost ... and then load the .xml file ....but load it with what ....double clicking throws up a webpage[DOUBLEPOST=1415578802][/DOUBLEPOST]It is an xml file which has mappings for the remote I have[DOUBLEPOST=1415578927][/DOUBLEPOST]I see from photos on the net of previous mediaportal versions with an import button on the mapping window but 1.9 doesn't have this

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, let me try again.
    What is the full name of the XML file?
    Alternatively, can you post a link to the material you're looking at?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Right, okay.
    That is an EventGhost configuration file. It has absolutely nothing to do with MediaPortal. You need to import it into EventGhost somehow.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have a Vista MCE VCR 1100 remote.
    This sounds like the "Ortek VRC-1100" remote control. This remote is also sold under other brand names, such as the "Adesso ARC-1100", the "Gmyle", and the "Hama 00052451". I have the Hama version (amongst other remotes).

There is an MP XML configuration file specifically for this remote (it does not use "EventGhost"), but it is described in a German MP forum, so I am not that familiar with it (I do not use my Hama remote with MP -- I use a conventional MCE RC6 remote control). Download this file:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachments/centarea-hid-xml.153000/

Rename the file from "Centarea_HID.xml" to "Centarea HID.xml" (i.e. change the underscore to a blank), and then place the file in the following folder (this is the folder on 32-bit Vista; it may have a slightly different name on your system):

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\

Finally, start "MP Configuration", and click "Remote" (left side bar):
    (1) On the "Microsoft MCE" tab, deselect "Use Microsoft MCE remote or keyboard".
    (2) Click the "Sceneo" tab.
    (3) Select "Use Centarea Master Remote II".
    (4) Click "OK" to exit "MP Configuration".

With luck, your remote will now control MP. By the way, you must use the IR receiver that was sold with the Ortek remote (or its clones); you cannot use an IR receiver that was designed for Microsoft RC6 IR signals.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Michael7

Portal Member
    October 6, 2014
    Home Country
    Thank you MM and CyberSimian for your help. All is well with the remote now. I used the Centara .xml file and its now a joy to use:)
    Theres a few other issues but that's for another thread.

Regards,
    Michael

Ack

October 29, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sorry for reviving an older thread but I wanted to let people know this works with Windows 10 Creators Update. I haven't tried every button on my Adesso remote but all the critical ones work. I tried a lot of things, including another instance of this xml file where it was suggested to also use Auto Hotkey. With the Win 10 Creators update I could get everything working but the pause button. I followed CyberSimian's directions above and all is good now.

@ Cyber Simian - I've seen you in other forums besides here on Media Portal's and you're always helpful. Thanks much. Even your 3 year old posts are still valuable. :)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I wanted to let people know this works with Windows 10 Creators Update.
    Thanks for posting this information. (y) Although I have Windows 10 on my other laptop, I don't have MediaPortal on that laptop. :(

Another instance of this xml file where it was suggested to also use Auto Hotkey.
    The most-recent version of the support package for the Ortek/Hama remote is the one available in this post:

Vista MCE Remote Control VRC-1100

That version does use AutoHotKey, but I find that AutoHotKey improves the usability of the Ortek/Hama. In fact, I use the Hama remote myself now (in place of a standard MCE remote), but I have loaded the Ortek/Hama definitions into a Harmony 650 programmable remote. The "MyHarmony" web site has the Ortek definitions pre-defined, as a device called the "Ortek Media Player".

I am glad that I have been able to help. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom