What do I need to look at HDTV? (1 Viewer)

neggard

Portal Member
June 19, 2006
Well for the first time I should build a HTPC to my Epson EMP-TW600.

What AGP card do I need to look at HDTV.
I dont want to look at TV just some DVD's with HD quality and want to be sure that my HTPC could handle it.

Do I need a good expensive card or does could I use any card.

I have search alot but everything is a mess in my head so please try to explain this to me.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome neggard

This is a recent discussion and the one thing that comes out, is you will need a graphics card, at least as fast as a Nvidia 6600GT or better or the ATI equivalent.
    Also outputting to a HDTV capable Tv/Monitor.

Keep reading the forum, as there are more discussions on this subject weekly if not daily cropping up, with some goods answers to questions that nobody even thought of asking till now.

Regards

neggard

Portal Member
    June 19, 2006
    Well if you try different card, how do you know that the movie you looking at really is HD quality and nothing else?

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    For most of us there are next to no true HD resources available. I know that the US people have some OTA HD, but here in europe you are limited to a handful of wmv-hd DVD movies, a sat. trial channel and a few other options. Things are getting there, however, we know very little about the distribution.

It could well be that hollywood maximize their effort to refuse legal users to playback HD content on a computer, and that most tv brodcasts are linked to a decryption card "paired" with the detuner that they want you to use :-(

Other than that, I think that may computers are more than fast enough to playback MPEG2 and even MPEG4 hd material without expensive hardware acceleration graphics cards. It is if you want to do hardcore scaling, deinerlacing etc that oureallywant a fast computer.

regards
    knut

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom