What does the new feature "combine" channels do? (1 Viewer)

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
On 12/01/2006 [07:56:55] _Frodo added the following change: added 'combine' option to television/channels to combine 2 tvchannels

This made me curious. Been searching the forum but have not found any clues. Does anyone know what this new feature does?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    My understanding is that you can combine two different channel types. For example, you have an analog channel and a digital channel with the same programs. You can tell MP that they can be interchangedfor recording and viewing. IE, "record every time on this channel" will work for them both and MP will use the priority system to organise your viewing of these channels.

I can't test it though as my only analog cards were the software section of my hybrids and their support has been removed.

Anyone care to correct my wild guess?

druden

Portal Pro
    January 2, 2006
    Denmark
    I beleive this refers to regions where two channels share (broadcast at) the same frequency. In Denmark for instance, TV2 broadcast nationwide until 18.00. From 18.00 until 18.30 regional programmes are broadcast at the same channel (TV2/Lorry in my region). These who have independent programme guides, thus have to be configured as two channels in MP - but since they share the same frequency MP had a weak point up til now.

I'll try it out later tonight (hope my assumptions are correct since it would be another nice feature ;-))

kamrat

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hm... I was actually hoping that the feature would be something like MarcusB describes. I have both a DVB-T card and an analog card to recieve analog cable broadcasts and three of my favorite channels are available through both systems. It would be great if I could be able to "tell" media portal to use the DVB-T card as priority one and if it is already busy recording or being used for watching the analog card should kick in.
    Even better might be a question if a recording is about to begin if I would like to continue watching using the DVB-card or switch to analog to free the DVB-card for recording...
    I'm looking forward to your tests!

druden

Portal Pro
    January 2, 2006
    Denmark
    It seems that "combine" in the sense I thought is not really necessary any longer. In the TV configuration, you can simply add two channels that share the same frequency (this was not possible a month ago I think)

So your assumption well might prove to be correct ;-)

I only have a single tuner (PVR 350) so you'll have to try it out for yourself.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I have both a DVB-T card and an analog card to recieve analog cable broadcasts and three of my favorite channels are available through both systems.

Have you tried doing this already? I had some success by simply tuning the analog channel and then adding all the DVB settings to it as well. Then just assign that channel to both types of cards. The analog part will only look for the freq and the DTV part will only look at the digital section. It worked for me, but not sure how well, since Analog TV in my house is pretty bad and I only have a software card anyway.

Try it and see if it works for you.

kamrat

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That sounds like a clever idea! I will try that. I have not been able to try the new combine feature though. Tried to upgrade to latest CVS yesterday but it gave me a few problems so I am now on RC2 without CVS:s. If anyone figures it out please post! Does anybody know where the new setting can be found? In the channels section?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    there is a post by Frodo somewhere that explains the feature. It was a couple of weeks ago.

here's part of what he said:
    start config.exe
    goto television
    goto tv channels
    select the analog + digital channel (using ctrl+click)
    hit the combine button

MP now combines the 2 channels into 1 channel.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?p=78286&highlight=#78286

Woohoo, I was right :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom