[Info] What, exactly, is MPExtended and do I need it? (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have never really looked into MPExtended before but have just ascertained that I would need it to try out MP2 with my current MP1 TV Server.

However, I realise that MPExtended appears to offer a lot more, but I was just wondering if anyone might summarise exactly what it can do, other than allowing you to connect to the Mediaportal Server outside of the home network.

Thanks

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Right,

So MPExtended is used to give Client functionality to any device where it is not possible to install MP Client? For example Android tablets, Linux PCs etc?

As far as I can make out then, you have various choices:

For Android Tablets - you can either connect to the server via the browser or install a dedicated program like ampdroid.

For Linux PCs - you can either connect via a browser or use the XBMC plugin.

Is there any difference, therefore, between using the browser interface or a dedicated program?

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes there is a difference. The default web interface for MPE is not as advanced as most of the dedicated apps like aMPdroid. The reason for this is that Oxan creates both MPE and WebMP (the default web interface) and he only has so much time and MPE is more important for his time than WebMP, so it can fall behind at times or get less attention that other clients due to time. So things like aMPdroid end up with a bit more pizazz and features.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Right I sort of see - so you should always try to use a dedicated app if possible? Which means that the WebMP is really only used for streaming over the internet.

At the moment, I have the following Client's connected to my Mediaportal Server: Windows Laptop, Desktop running Linux, Android Tablet and a Raspberry Pi.

I therefore have a bit of a mix - am I therefore best off installing MPExtended only (i.e. not WebMP) and using the the following to connect to the server?

Windows Laptop - Mediaportal Client
    Desktop - XBMC with Mediaportal Plugin
    Android Tablet - Ampdroid
    Raspberry Pi - XBMC with Mediaportal Plugin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom