What is REALY needed to run Windows Media Center 2005? (1 Viewer)

chrismalone

Portal Member
December 16, 2005
i was wondering if i get windows media 2005, what do you need to run it?
is it just fast hardware or specific?
wouldn't doubt if microsoft is lying when they say you can only get it to work if you buy a retail HTPC with mediacenter integrated..

here are my pc specs, please tell me if i can just install media center 2005 straight onto it:
Motherboard: P4S800-MX
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz SL7PK (With stock heatsink)
RAM: 512MB + 1GB (Spare 256MB) PC3200 DDR400
Case: Tycoon Technology (+ 1 Side fan from an old power supply)
Graphics Card: Sparkle Nvidia Geforce 6800GT AGP (With NV Silencer 5 rv.2 cooler)
Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy ZS 2
HDTV Card: Avermedia DVB-T 777
Optical drives: Pioneer DVR-110D DVDRW DL, Liteon JMLS XJ-HD165H DVD ROM
Hard Disk Drive: 160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus ST3160023A
Keyboard and Mouse: Logitech MX 3100 Cordless Desktop - MX 1000 Laser Cordless Mouse + MX 3000 Cordless Keyboard
Moniter: Hyundai L90D+ 19" 8ms 700:1 300 cd
Speaker System: Creative Inspire T7900 7.1
Extras-- Webcam: Logitech Quickcam Sphere, TrackIR 4 Pro

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This is probably the wrong forum to ask for help installing MCE, but what the hey! If that system can't run MCE (or MP!) then I don't know what will... You'll be fine.

Just fast hardware should do the job, the only specific would be a TV card and you've got that covered.

chrismalone

Portal Member
    December 16, 2005
    i was told mce can only be pre-installed on a htpc..
    i do like mediaportal but i also want to make use of the remote and teletext of my avermedia dvb-t 777.
    mp seems a bit laggy unless you turn off vmr-9 and fiddle with settings to make it low quality (yes even on this beast).
    not trying to rag it though.. mp is good, just wish someone would consentrate on avermedia cards like mine.
    hopefully in 2.0.1.0 :)

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    chrismalone said:
    i was told mce can only be pre-installed on a htpc..
    i do like mediaportal but i also want to make use of the remote and teletext of my avermedia dvb-t 777.
    mp seems a bit laggy unless you turn off vmr-9 and fiddle with settings to make it low quality (yes even on this beast).
    not trying to rag it though.. mp is good, just wish someone would consentrate on avermedia cards like mine.
    hopefully in 2.0.1.0 :)
    I'd prefer MP, but if you really want to get your copy of MCE (ignoring the less legal methods), you'd have to buy it OEM , so bundled with a new PC. However, some manufacturers also sell it "bundled" with trivia as a power cord, FDD drive etc. (prolly the power cord won't function without MCE installed ;)) so look for one of the suppliers and there you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom