What is the best multiple hard drive solution? (1 Viewer)

ddiehl

Portal Member
August 20, 2010
First off, let me say that I used search, and the solutions didn't do what I was after. They also seemed a few Months old, so I was hoping for a fresher perspective.. Thanks..

I have two 1.5tb hard drives that are shared on my Windows 7 desktop, and stream video_ts folders to my HTPC in the living room. Is there a way to make all the titles appear together in MP? I specify all because I tried the 'moving pictures' plug in, and it only shows my movies, and not my 'TV shows'- such as my 'Sopranos', and 'Band of Brothers' box sets, which I have in nested folders. I've also tried going into the configurator Videos>Video Database and can't get that to work either. I simply want to choose 'Videos', and have ALL my titles from both drives appear together- Movies & series. I've read about junctions, but that seems a little over my head at the moment.

Thanks for any help, and for all the hard work that went into creating Media Portal..

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Not sure what you mean, Can't you just add the folder you want to the inbuilt vidoes plugin?
    config>Videos>Videofolders and add all the folders you want from local or network locations

My setup click on videos:

CD/DVD
    Movies (localdrive)
    Recordings (TV server drive)
    TV shows (Network folder)
    Kids shows (Network folder)
    Blu-ray/HD (Local Drive)

Maybe I miss understood the question

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Movingpictures for movies and My TVSeries for tv shows

I wish someone would merge these plugins into one, Save the wife asking "Where's the TV shows", "Where's the movies", "This is too hard", "I can't find anything", "Blah Blah Blah" LOL :D

ddiehl

Portal Member
    August 20, 2010

Not sure what you mean, Can't you just add the folder you want to the inbuilt vidoes plugin?
    config>Videos>Videofolders and add all the folders you want from local or network locations

My setup click on videos:

CD/DVD
    Movies (localdrive)
    Recordings (TV server drive)
    TV shows (Network folder)
    Kids shows (Network folder)
    Blu-ray/HD (Local Drive)

Maybe I miss understood the question

I'm looking for a way so that when I click on 'Videos', I get:

Movies/Series/Video (what I labeled it (regardless of the number of drives))
    Blu-ray (Local Drive)

I want to be able to click on 'Movies/Series/Video', and have ALL my video content, movies, TV series (Sopranos, Band of Brothers, etc), in one list, again regardless the number of drives, and whether it's considered a 'move', or 'TV' show.

Thanks for the responses so far..

ddiehl

Portal Member
    August 20, 2010
    Just thought I'd bump this.

Still trying to figure out a good solution so that ALL my Movies,TV shows, etc appear on one simple family/wife friendly list..

Thanks again..

SimonP

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you include each folder in Setup they'll all be accessible by going up the folder tree (..) in the Videos menu.

Alternatively you can map drives to folders like I do. I have drive D: which is 'My Videos', with a second drive mapped as folder "TV Programmes" and another mapped as "Films".

(This is done in 'Disk Management' under 'Manage' - right-click on 'My Computer')

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I have two 1.5TB hard drives and use one for "Movies" and one for "TVSeries". I initially tried just using the Moving Pictures plugin for everything and it wasn't an ideal solution, so now use Moving Pictures to access the "Movies" drive and "TVSeries" Plugin to access the TVSeries drive. It is a decent solution and the results from this look great

I have shown "she who must be obeyed" what to do and there is no problem in navigating the menu's to find whatever she wants to watch.

I have to transfer recorded TV series or films onto the relevant drive every couple of weeks, and I don't find this a hardship. I'm trying to get "episode scanner" to work with my series recordings so TVSeries parses the name correctly and drags the info off the online database (TVDB.com) to match exactly. Not quite there yet though.

HTH,

M.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Save the wife asking "Where's the TV shows", "Where's the movies", "This is too hard", "I can't find anything", "Blah Blah Blah"

Have you considered getting a new wife. Mine uses MP without too much problem (after some training). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom