What is your preferred setup for server and client? (1 Viewer)

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

At the moment I have an HP micro proliant server running ubuntu. This machine is on 24/7 and acts as a file server and media server for our home. I also use it to download torrents and run ps3 media server on it for upnp. It contains all my movies, TV shows, music etc.

I then have my main HTPC that sits under the TV in our sitting room. This acts as the TV Server for the house and also as its own client. I also use it for some retro gaming.

This HTPC remains hibernated unless a client is watching TV or a recording is scheduled. This machine also has mp extended running on it for aMPdroid on my Nexus 7 and Samsung phone.

However every now and then I experience a crash or blue screen with this machine. I suspect that constantly bringing it out of hibernation may be contributing to these problems.

I am interested to know how many people have their media server and TV server integrated and on 24/7 as this is what I am now considering.

It would also make it easier when watching tv on a client or scheduling a recording when away from home as the TV server would not need to be woken up.

It would also be good to get some info on keeping the electricity bills low with a good choice in PSUs, HDs and various other components.

Thanks in advance.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you use windows scheduler for that and just hope you avoid a recording or do you have a more sophisticated setup?

Regarding my original question I think I am going to change my setup slightly but not by combining the TV Server and Media Server but instead by splitting the TV Server and the main client into two machines.

For a long time I have been unhappy that the TV Server is also a client in its own right. The problem is that I want to install lots of stuff on that machine like games, emulators, plugins etc and this adds to its instability which is a problem when it is such a crucial part of the system.

Therefore I have decided to separate the two machines. I am basically going to build a box like a sky box which will be a TV Server for the whole house and wake up when needed.

I have had my eye on this case for ages. It holds plenty of drives so great for adding extra recording space and it’s a great size.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverstone-SST-ML03B-USB3-0-PC-Case/dp/B004HE2YZE/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1344278055&sr=1-2-catcorr

I’ll put one of these in the drive bay:

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2929.html

And run something like this:

http://lcdsmartie.sourceforge.net/
    Does anyone run a similar setup or see any problems.
    (Sometimes you just need to make changes to give yourself something to do - can't stop tweaking MP!!!)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    if i recall correctly there was an option to do this in powerscheduler the extended version.[DOUBLEPOST=1344551371][/DOUBLEPOST]http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

reboot.png

Force reboots

Select how often your system will be forced to reboot. Running a Windows system for a long period sometimes makes it cranky or even unstable. A reboot now and then will give you a "fresh" system.

When the systems returns to standby after an automated task (guide update or scheduled recording), MST checks if its time for a reboot. If so, it will cancel the standby process and force the system to reboot. When the system comes back up MST puts the system into standby.

On most systems this means the reboot is done right after the guide update.

Since Windows Vista does no longer have the ability to cancel the standby process a different approach is used. On Vista based systems this option requires the idle detection to be enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom