What MPEG-2 codecs, post-processing have you used with good results? (1 Viewer)

sclaws

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Chicago western suburbs
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hey all.
    I've been ripping TV episodic DVDs to MPEG2 recently but am having some frustration with consistent playback quality--specifically jittery video. So I'm curious, what combinations of encoders and post-processing have you had success with? Can you recommend any key settings that seemed to do-the-trick for you?

My rip process was first using TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, then most recently VOB2MPG Pro--I want to simply rip the episodes without any audio or video re-encoding.

As for processing MPEG2, I've used:
    - Nvidia Purevideo (with and without post-processing) with good IQ, but jitter noticeable with live-action horizontal pans. Enabling Nvidia post-processing helps hide much of the jidder but its still there.

- Windows MPEG2 Encoder (Vista) has very good IQ and less jitter, but its still there.

- ffdshow decoder. Can't begin to describe what I've tried, but overall IQ is not as good as the two above. However I did come close to managing jitter by setting de-interlacing to "disable"...but this resulted in revealing interlace artifacts in the image fields.

- PowerDVD MPEG2 codec. Soft image, same jitter issues.

- Arcsoft MPEG2 codec. Pure garbage...bad IQ, jitter issues again. This is from the TME 2 installation.

- MPC-MC I'd say falls between Nvidia and the Windows encoder, yet jitter remains.

I'm rendering with VMR9 in Vista Home Premium x86...have tried to get EVR to work but that results in horrendous tearing with every encoder I've tried, so I've all but given up on EVR. The display is via HDMI to a DLP set, native 1280x720p...but my HTPC outputs 1920x1080 to the TV as it "looks" cleaner to my eyes. Refresh rate is set to 30hz in the Catalyst drivers (9.9)

I know this is a difficut issue and I've thrown alot of general info in here, but I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm rendering with VMR9 in Vista Home Premium x86...have tried to get EVR to work but that results in horrendous tearing with every encoder I've tried, so I've all but given up on EVR.

You must have Aero enabled in Vista to avoid tearing with EVR.

The display is via HDMI to a DLP set, native 1280x720p...but my HTPC outputs 1920x1080 to the TV as it "looks" cleaner to my eyes. Refresh rate is set to 30hz in the Catalyst drivers (9.9)

You should be running 60Hz progressive to the display - 30Hz progressive will produce jitter (lack of smoothness) on pans etc.

NTSC SD TV is 60Hz interlaced (30 frames/sec, 60 fields/sec), so normally on an HTPC this would be deinterlaced to 60Hz progressive i.e. each source field becomes one frame on the display, thus retaining the original motion smoothness of the interlaced video. Also the 3:2 pulldown that happens when 24Hz film material is transferred to 60Hz video probably won't look too good on a 30Hz progressive display.....

Tony

sclaws

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Chicago western suburbs
    Home Country
    Thx for the response! It will be a few days til I can try anything...came home to a broken TV and am waiting for parts to arrive so I can fix it. I'll report back my findings when I can.

sclaws

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Chicago western suburbs
    Home Country
    OK, a couple findings to report:
    1) For some reason I cannot enable Aero. I've tried the normal route of enabling it but I don't get an option for Aero in the 'Personalization' section. My video card is an ATI 4550 512MB and scores a 4.4 on the Windows Performance index...not great but should work for aero. Also tried adjusting registry keys as was recommended with no change. Not sure where to go from there.

2) Set my HTPC to 1280x720 60Hz but it did not help.

If any other ideas are around for enabling Aero I'd love any guidance on that one...plus I'm sort of hoping to try settings that others may be using with success...specifically which video decoder/settings, and which post processor, if any, and recommended settings. Thx!

Update: I think I may have found a good solution...DScaler has taken care of most of my issues (other than not being able to use EVR). I'll keep you posted if I learn anything else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom