What remote to use for MP based HTPC? (1 Viewer)

snewman

Portal Member
January 30, 2006
Australia
Hi,

I'm in the process of designing a HTPC and I've been looking at options for cases and DVB TV cards.

There are models of both that have remotes - the cases have the advantage of the IR receiver being integrated into the fascia, but those cases do tend to be pricey.

Does anyone have any recommendations of remotes for cases or DVB TC cards that work with Media Portal?

For those that have used TV card remotes - where did you place the receiver? Are they good at picking up remote commands?

--

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Those remotes are natively supported in MediaPortal:

- MCE remote (European version preferable)
- HVR-1300 with Hauppauge remote (preferable) or (a bit crippled) OEM MCE remote
- Nova-T 90002 with Hauppauge remote
- x10 remotes (ATI)
- FireDTV-T box with FireDTV remote
- MCE remote, using IRTrans receiver (built into some cases)

Did I miss anything in the natively supported list?

(listed cards are assuming that you're talking about DVB-T)

Nemulate

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
IOW
Home Country
England England
Think it depends what you got it with. Mine definitely doesn't have a programable tv on/off! Mine came with a Hauppauge 150 MCE kit.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
As I said, the Hauppauge OEM MCE remotes are a bit crippled. Means: Slightly less buttons and no IR transmitter (correct me, if I'm wrong, I only heard that stuff, never had one in my own hands).

Kenny_mp

Portal Member
January 8, 2006
Home Country
Hi, i have an iMon remote control but i dont have the IR Receiver... so i have 3 questions:

1) Does anybody know if the iMon IR Receiver is sold separately or if i can use any other IR Receiver with that remote control?

2) Does this remote contol integrates well into MP?

3) Can i use a third party plugin like Girder to program it?

Thanks...

snewman

Portal Member
January 30, 2006
Australia
mPod,

Thanks for the info.

You mention that some cases have an IRTrans receiver built in - is this some kind of generic device that can be configured to work with an MCE remote? Could it be configured to work with other remotes?

--

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
snewman said:
mPod,

Thanks for the info.

You mention that some cases have an IRTrans receiver built in - is this some kind of generic device that can be configured to work with an MCE remote? Could it be configured to work with other remotes?

--
Well, I'm sure it can be configured for other remotes as well (I don't have such a device, I added it to CVS, cause it has been sent in via SourceForge.), but MP will support ONLY the MCE remote out of the box, when using IRTrans. You might want to contact the author of the plugin to get details. Here's the link to the patch (that is already in CVS): https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1412023&group_id=107397&atid=647927

Efros

Portal Pro
January 23, 2006
Maine
Home Country
England England
My box is in the basement so I had to use an rf remote, Snapstream Firefly works like a dream with MP and the profile is quite easily modified for that must have function that only you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom