What satellite(s) should I be using ? (1 Viewer)

JimmyBoy

Portal Pro
April 18, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2
MediaPortal Skin: Avalon 1.0.0.0
Windows Version: Windows 7 x86 SP1
CPU Type: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz
HDD: Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300 SSD
Memory: OCZ OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK PC3-12800 / 1x2GB / 1600MHz / DDR3 / AMD Black Edition XTC Kit
Motherboard: Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 AMD 880G AM3
Video Card: nVidia MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB
Video Card Driver: 266.58 WHQL
Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio (Optical)
Sound Card AC3: Optical
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.1.6069
1. TV Card: BlackGold BGT3595
1. TV Card Type: Hybrid DVB-S / DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 09/03/2010,1.0.5.90.1
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder
h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
HTPC Case: Zalman HD-501
Cooling: CPU - Noctua NH-U9B SE2 Dual Fan, Chassis - 2 x Sharkoon 1000
Power Supply: Be Quiet Special Edition White 600W E7 Modular PSU
Remote: Logitech Harmony 300i & Logitech diNovo
TV: LG 60" (LG60PK250)
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

This may be a dumb question, but I just am not sure which satellite(s) I should be using in order to pick up TV.

Is there any website where I can just put in my address and it will tell me what satellites are available to me and what channels those satellites provide?

I just dont understand how I am meant to know what satellites to use, its something I have no experience with. Also, should I just be using one satellite, or all 4 that are possible ?

I am using a BlackGold BGT3595 card and live in the UK.

Thanks for any help.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm with Jonm - I have tried others, but have not seen anything worth watching and it increases the channel scan time too.

If there is a specific channel you want you should find which satellite it is transmitting from here >>> King of Sat <<<

M

JimmyBoy

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2008
    Home Country
    I just find it all a little confusing as its something that I know nothing about. A couple years ago, I gave Windows Media Centre a try, and I seem to remember that it asked me for my postcode and that was it! it sorted everything else out for me. (As to how good a job it done im not sure - but I had my tv channels available which is what mattered to me most). I personally would be greatful if MP could do something similar for us TV Tuner dummies.

I have tried Astra 19.2E and got results with that, but have also seen that Astra 28.2E is advised and also I think Eurobird was advised somewhere.

Then you have the question, should I just be using the one satellite or should I be trying to use all 4 satellites that are available to configure. What are the pro's and cons of configuring say 1 satellite vs configuring 4 satellites. I am just not too sure about how to make my own decision on these details, as I cannot find the resources (websites) to provide the details I am looking for - at least in a reasonably easy to understand format - everything I have come across so far just looks like a load of random numbers and other stuff that makes no sense! lol

Then on a side-note, I hear that sometimes tv channels change satellite (?), how am I supposed to try and keep my list up to date if this is the case? Say for example I have BBC 1 tuned, then BBC 1 was to change satellite, does this now mean I will no longer be able to tune into BBC1 until I get the new tuning details for BBC1 - is there a way to automate this?, or have I totally misunderstood things. One reason I mention this is that I have "Dave ja vu" in my channel list and im sure this used to work, but now I just get no channel, I dont know if this means Dave ja vu has moved to a different satellite, or if it is no longer operational or what.

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Dave ja vu used to be on uk freeview i.e. terrestrial not satellite, it is no longer available.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi JimmyBoy

The satellite group used by most people in the UK (such as Sky subscribers and Freesat users) is the Astra group (currently Astra 2A, 2B, 2D and 1N) at 28.2E and Eurobird 1 at 28.5E (which is close enough to 28.2E to make no difference to dish allignment). The main Free to Air channels (such as BBC, ITV Channel 4 and 5 and their varients as well as many others) broadcast from here.

Astra 19.2E is a different group of satellites and you would need either another dish or to move a dish which was pointing at 28.2E to point to 19.2E to pick up channels from these satellites (at which point you would lose BBC, ITV Channel 4 & 5 etc).

From time to time, channels in the 28.2E / 28.5E group move either from one transponder on the same satellite to another or from one satellite to another. However these are still in the same group of satellites. The tuning parameters will change requiring a rescan but not the satellite details.

Mew

JimmyBoy

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for adding some useful details there for me, that helps clear things up a little bit.

As I said previously, I have been using astra 19.2E (no reason, infact I have no idea how I come to use that one) but in my TV channels I still have BBC,ITV,Channel 4 etc... which according to you, I should not have. This MAY be because my TV Card is dual DVB-S2 + DVB-T, so the BBC,ITV etc... may be coming from the DVB-T part of the card. I cant check at the moment as my HTPC is in bits!

Thanks in helping clear up some parts for me.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi JimmyBoy

If its a Sky mindish (or similar such as Freesat) it will be physically pointing at 28.2E. I would guess that telling MediaPortal to scan 19.2E (unless you have a motorised satellite dish and it moves round) will make it scan the satellite at 28.2E using transponder details that are held for 19.2E. Some of these will be the same (i.e. orientation, frequency) and this is probably why you have channels. You may be missing channels that you would other get if there are differences in the ranges of parameters that MediaPortal uses for 28.2E and 19.2E.

For DVB-T you need to select the DVB-T card in TV Sever Configuration and then amend "Country:" and "Region/Provider:" which in the UK will be the transmitter your aerial points to (such as Crystal Palace, Sandy Heath etc). You would not select 28.2E or 19.2E (these are not available in DVB-T configuration anyway).

Mew

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom