[Blog] What Sayeth You?: MyVideos (1 Viewer)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    #2 (1/21/2012)​

This week's blog, as the title implies, is our 2nd 'What Sayeth You?' blog, and it is all about MediaPortal's stock videos/movies database handler, MyVideos. There has been a ton of work already done in it in 1.2 and so many more on the way. Just like our last WSY blog (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly), this one will use a theme from a popular movie or TV show.

So let's take MyVideos ...

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I still don't understand why MP has to use the word "shares". Why are they not simply "folders"? Does MyVideos have a clien/server architecture like the TV server does? Who are these folders shared with?

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    many users use NAS to store and share videos

I ask when? The 1.3.0 alpha was planed for 2011.11.03... and now a new public release date is not yet :(

sunflower

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2007
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: What Sayeth You?: MyVideos

There is one functionality I'm missing (may be it's alreadys there)
    I understand that the id for every movie is its path and filename.
    But it might occur that hte file location has to be changed (changing hdds etc). Is there a way to change file location without loosing alle the database information?

JGPhenom

January 23, 2012
    Home Country
    So I'll guess I'll be the first to thank you. I discovered media portal about a month ago and it got me excited enough to start building an HTPC. I can't wait for the next update to this plugin!

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: What Sayeth You?: MyVideos

Hi.
    For me as User of Moving Pictures and TVSeries the MyVideo plugin always was a btn for the "Garbage" not fitting into the two "Flagship- Plugins". And I don't think this will change until MP2 is available. I think it's ok to increase stability and support for more file- types. But all Database related stuff is handled a lot better through Moving Pictures and TV Series...
    It would be nice to make use of a "backdrop.jpg" and "folder.jpg" to provide a nicer look on not DB stored files. But beside this I think the Dev- Man Power is more needed on bigger issues like overall performance, stability and the really ugly and mostly unusable MyPictures plugin.

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It would be a nice thing to have an EPG style list of your movies, complete with time. You would then see when a movie ends if you start playing it now. Perhaps sorted by length. You might want to watch a movie but need to finish before a certain time. This way you can list all possible candidates in an easy overview :)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Though I really appreciate the work gone in to MP and the playing of videos specifically, I'm with Lehmden on this - it's something I used to use, until I was blown away by TVSeries and Moving Pictures - but why reinvent the wheel?
    Both TVS and MovP have great functionality and I would suggest that incorporating these two in to the core of MP might be an idea?
    Adding the functions mentioned in the post should be possible too.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I don't think of MyVideos as "the ugly", I have a number of non-movie, non-TV series, non-music videos to put in it, including video tutorials and home movies (certainly not garbage). I even stuff a few interesting You-Tube videos in there to keep that don't fall into particular categories. Adding my own information to the MyVideos DB might be easier if I was able to do it from the MP GUI, but as is, is workable. Data scrapers are pretty much useless in that regard, and fancy display graphics unnecessary for my purpose. I can say that I use Moving Pictures and MP TV-Series daily, but I could not do without MyVideos.

Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom