[Blog] What Sayeth You?: MyVideos (1 Viewer)

bighick

Portal Pro
July 6, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Re: AW: What Sayeth You?: MyVideos

It would be nice to make use of a "backdrop.jpg" and "folder.jpg" to provide a nicer look on not DB stored files.
Well that would make everyones SSD worthless. When there is a DB stored on a local machine browsing flies, if it browsed the folders all the time it would take ages. Now if I placed a folder and backdrop in my movie folder and when it scanned it would copy that .jpg into the DB it would be useful.
I only used the MyVideos for about 2 months 3 years ago though (found Moving-Pictures / MP-TVseries so maybe it does what I just described.

logifuse

Portal Pro
January 19, 2011
Sydney
Home Country
I've discovered that I'm a bit of a strange beast in that I don't want all the fan-art, movie info, cover-flow layouts & the like, so MP-TV Series & Moving Pictures aren't for me. What I want is a list-view player that is easy to navigate, easy to tell what has & hasn't been watched, & can easily delete things from (0 button). I don't keep collections of TV series or movies as I don't tend to rewatch things.

Please keep this sort of user in mind when making grand changes down the track.

What I would like to see is a centralised database (like TV Server or ForTheRecord) so that things can be simply replicated across clients, & a simpler way of listing recently added items.

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    Hi , I'm a bit suprise for the nagtive responce her ...
    As a long time user of MP , i have bin use all movies/videos plugins ,seanss Deda start working on myvideos plugin i see the devlop prosses and was happy that my videos moving up with devlop..
    All i can say the way i see it , with new upcomming version 1.3.0 (with all the new fetures/add on/new screens) MyVidoes plugin will be by far better then moving pictures plugin , and is all built in plugin ...i for one happy with this direction...

Maybe read again all new fetures ...slower ;)

papas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    Re: AW: What Sayeth You?: MyVideos

Hi.
    For me as User of Moving Pictures and TVSeries the MyVideo plugin always was a btn for the "Garbage" not fitting into the two "Flagship- Plugins". And I don't think this will change until MP2 is available. I think it's ok to increase stability and support for more file- types. But all Database related stuff is handled a lot better through Moving Pictures and TV Series...
    It would be nice to make use of a "backdrop.jpg" and "folder.jpg" to provide a nicer look on not DB stored files. But beside this I think the Dev- Man Power is more needed on bigger issues like overall performance, stability and the really ugly and mostly unusable MyPictures plugin.

agree totally with Lehmden , he has covered me to every full stop!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I've discovered that I'm a bit of a strange beast in that I don't want all the fan-art, movie info, cover-flow layouts & the like, so MP-TV Series & Moving Pictures aren't for me. What I want is a list-view player that is easy to navigate, easy to tell what has & hasn't been watched, & can easily delete things from (0 button). I don't keep collections of TV series or movies as I don't tend to rewatch things.

Please keep this sort of user in mind when making grand changes down the track.

What I would like to see is a centralised database (like TV Server or ForTheRecord) so that things can be simply replicated across clients, & a simpler way of listing recently added items.

The fanart/etc is all controlled by the skin. You can make MovingPictures and MP-TVSeries look as boring as you want to increase your functionality. There are actually skins already available that target to that and have support for MovingPictures and MP-TVSeries included stripped of fanart/etc.

The more powerful skins even come with an editor that allows you to quickly change options and some of them have the option to disable all the fanart, or at least make it non intrusive.

As for proper centralised database for that, you will have to wait for MediaPortal 2, but there are many forum threads that explain how to do a proper multi-client setup for MovingPictures and MP-TVSeries that do require a little bit of added work, but at least prevent database corruption.

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Although I appreciate every development made to MePo, I never use MyVideos anymore.

Why? Moving Pictures is my default Movie Database and has been for years, hence the ease and quality of movie scraping.

Would love to see Myvideos being a serious competitor to Moving Pictures - But why not merge into 1 project!?!

In my opinion, important development ressources is been wasted.

I think many of the current MePo users have Moving pictures due to 3 primary reasons:
    -Automatic ISO filename recognition(nfo, IMDB Id etc)
    -Automatic movie info scraping from IMDB and several alternative source including multilingual support.
    -Automatic Coverart automatic

It just works out of the box :)

/Morten

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Like to say I'm a great fan of the current MyVideo, pre Deda it was basic, now for me it easily matches MovingPictures for my family needs, then I really do not need all the supported social plugins that are being rammed down everyones necks nowadays.

What I\we\kids watch is not up for grabs, we can always chat about it too our friends!!

or is it just me ;)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    No Ray, a lot of people feel like you do. But there are others that see it as re-inventing the wheel. What I think people need to understand is a few things:

A) MyVideos will never replace Moving Pictures and vice versa. It would be like saying, why have zebras when we have horses. While being the extremely alike, they are so different it is not even funny.
    B) Altho not flawlessly/easily achieved MyVideos is the best place to put any video that does not fall under the three main categories Movie - Music - TV. This includes home videos, screen captures, training videos, etc
    C) Just because you don't use it does not mean others dont. Deda personally uses MyVideos and not Moving Pictures, so he made it better. Nothing wrong with that and never a waste of time or resources, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom