What's your top 3 requests after 0.2 Final. (1 Viewer)

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I wanted to start a new thread on this because the other one is really old. I think it started when we were at 0.1 and most of the requests have been added already. I know from 0.1.3 until 0.2 final the Dev's are really working hard to make MP the most stable release ever. For anyone running RC3 you should know by now that they have done a damn good job of doing that. I want to thank everyone for all the hard work they have put into this project and all the people who are currently testing MP.

P.S. This thread is for ideas and thoughts you have about the future of MP. This thread is intended for fun and any suggested features here are at the total discretion of the developers of MP.

Brijn

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2005
    North vancouver, Canada
    Suggestions

- A big one: move to client server infrastucture where there can be at least multiple clients talking to one master(=recorder), or even multiple recorders with multiple clients

- For better adoption: A few recommended hardware combinations that works without problems, and a manual on how to install the combination

- Just for fun: Skins that can be previewed and downloaded from the internet within MP

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This one is easy Brijn

[quote For better adoption: A few recommended hardware combinations that works without problems, and a manual on how to install the combination ]

use MCE and its limitations :lol:

gds

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2004
    Italy
    I agree that the next big step should be the move to a client-server approach.
    Another idea could be an integrated error sending system, so that the developers could get accurate info on the most common bugs.

Dordo

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2004
    Client / Server also has my vote. It just has so many benifits. While I am here I just want to add my sincere thanks to the dev team and everyone who has made media portal what it is today, it never fails to blow people away when they see it in action.

pieroxy

Portal Pro
    November 21, 2005
    Paris, France
    My #1 request: IPTV.

I have a box providing telephone and DSL at home, just waiting to provide TV through rtsp://... Quality is perfect and no use for a clunky tuner card. Multiple streams supported... As of today, only VLC can play these streams.

please please please please please ;)

moltas

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2005
    Sweden
    Switching channels is still much faster with the program that comes with my Hauppage card then with MP so I'd say the speed of MyTV. If that is solved the client server idea is very interesting.

/Moltas

Molokoids

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2004
    An idea, could be to collect all the feature requests of the forum and make a poll with like (10-20 different requests). So we could have a better view of what users would prefer.

llecaroz

March 31, 2006
    IPTV, by VLC as BDA/WDM Driver or as MP plugin ?

Oh ! that's fun, I just found your post on the more requested feature request from the french mirror of mediaportal (mp-fr.com).

I just fetched all the cvs today for starting a development of an iptv for implementing VLC as an internal player of mediaportal to be able to watch french adsl tv (freebox from free.fr), & I just started to look how was written the TV plugin for getting it & just changing actions & all other calls to tvcapture for calling vlc instead.

This idea was to keep exactly the same look as the normal tv plugin because we can find nearly the same features in vlc & specialy with the freebox (epg, timeshifting, ...).

Really enjoyed to see that some other guys are interrested.

I investigate to know how to make vlc more generic, & one of my idea was first to write a WDM video tuner driver layer for accessing vlc features & make it generic for iptv. But as it runs at a lower ring, & because, the ddk cannot simply be found on internet & needs to be register on the Microsoft, I decided not to continue on this way... but I think this was a great idea. Not by implementing the activex but more the vlc kernel directly in this bda driver...
    Imagine, just having iptv generic & accessible from all softs, not obliging media portal team to write a new plugin, just "add" a new card !!!!

But that's true, writing a media portal plugin will be more simple & that's was my second idea... I just fetched all media portal source code, compiled it, started to play with the activex, but nothing else....

So there are two ideas :
    -Writing an IPTV low layer (DBA driver)
    -Writing a media portal plugin..

As I don't have lot of time to spend on a dba driver because it is a little bit more sotisfacted than a mp plugin,

If some of you are interrested for writing a bda driver why not, which could be installed through the vlc installer ;), I am also interrested.

Anyway... is there already anyone who start writing a TVIP Plugin getting all the look of the TV normal plugin ?
    Is there who already started something on this subject ?

Thx, in advance,
    Louis

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom