When computer date/time is old enough, YouTube search can't retrieve results (1 Viewer)

Joaquin

Portal Member
December 28, 2013
Home Country
Spain Spain
The scenario is a relatively old computer set as HTPC. The motherboard battery has not enough power to maintain system hour/date and therefore each time I start the computer the date is set to the default value (02/02/2002).

OnlineVideos plugin can play videos but can not retrieve search results from YouTube, resulting in a "Error retrieving search results" message.

If I change system date/time to the actual day (12/28/2013) and restart MediaPortal, everything works fine.

Please find attached to this post two logs:
  • "ERROR" - computer date/time set to 2002 and a YouTube search that returns the previously detailed error.
  • "OK" - the same action, setting the same computer to the actual date (2013).

This is not a critical bug, but it is annoying as well :). Computers used as HTPC do not really need to have the system sate/time properly set.

My best wishes for this upcoming 2014 and thank you to the developers for this must-have plugin for MediaPortal, which is undeniably better and easier to use than most of the built-in "smartTV" applications of most of the TV sets in the market.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Disagree. Many functions of MP are time-dependent, e.g. database updates A new battery, probably a 2016 or 2030, costs only cents and can be changed in a few minutes.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    This is the same without MP for ex you can't go in bank website etc. if your time is not OK :)
    So i would say it's not an MP issue but more a security issue :p

Joaquin

Portal Member
    December 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thank you for your quick responses, HTPC_Sourcer and Sebastii! Needless to say, I bought a new battery after posting this!! I could never imagine that HTPC computer clock had to be properly set in order to make the software run, since I thought file updates depend on the file version numbers, not date. Catavolt, it has nothing to do with December 28th ;).

Nevertheless I hope this post will be useful to other people with the problem. Check battery, guys!

Administrators can close this thread if they think it is appropiate. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom