When computer date/time is old enough, YouTube search can't retrieve results

Discussion in 'OnlineVideos' started by Joaquin, December 28, 2013.

1. Joaquin

Joaquin Portal Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    Spain Spain
    The scenario is a relatively old computer set as HTPC. The motherboard battery has not enough power to maintain system hour/date and therefore each time I start the computer the date is set to the default value (02/02/2002).

OnlineVideos plugin can play videos but can not retrieve search results from YouTube, resulting in a "Error retrieving search results" message.

If I change system date/time to the actual day (12/28/2013) and restart MediaPortal, everything works fine.

Please find attached to this post two logs:
    • "ERROR" - computer date/time set to 2002 and a YouTube search that returns the previously detailed error.
    • "OK" - the same action, setting the same computer to the actual date (2013).

This is not a critical bug, but it is annoying as well :). Computers used as HTPC do not really need to have the system sate/time properly set.

My best wishes for this upcoming 2014 and thank you to the developers for this must-have plugin for MediaPortal, which is undeniably better and easier to use than most of the built-in "smartTV" applications of most of the TV sets in the market.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Disagree. Many functions of MP are time-dependent, e.g. database updates A new battery, probably a 2016 or 2030, costs only cents and can be changed in a few minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sebastiii
    • Team MediaPortal

Sebastiii Development Group

Ratings:
    +10,224 / 9
    Home Country:
    France France
    Show System Specs
    This is the same without MP for ex you can't go in bank website etc. if your time is not OK :)
    So i would say it's not an MP issue but more a security issue :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. catavolt
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

catavolt Design Group Manager

Technical Documentation, Translation
    Ratings:
    +7,396 / 38
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I really thought this one was for 1st of April (fools day) :p ;) :D :ROFLMAO:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Joaquin

Joaquin Portal Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    Spain Spain
    Thank you for your quick responses, HTPC_Sourcer and Sebastii! Needless to say, I bought a new battery after posting this!! I could never imagine that HTPC computer clock had to be properly set in order to make the software run, since I thought file updates depend on the file version numbers, not date. Catavolt, it has nothing to do with December 28th ;).

Nevertheless I hope this post will be useful to other people with the problem. Check battery, guys!

Administrators can close this thread if they think it is appropiate. Thank you!

7. catavolt
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

catavolt Design Group Manager

Technical Documentation, Translation
    Ratings:
    +7,396 / 38
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    How would you achieve proper recordings with wrong date/time? Just one of several problems without proper date/time ;)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!