[solved] Where is the satellite data now? (1 Viewer)

bill_gensheet

Portal Member
May 9, 2010
Essex
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Been running MP1 for ages, all working OK. I occasionally lose channels and so edit the satellite.xml as channels move about (I'm UK on Astra / Sky), which worked out OK on MP1, with data from the KingofSat changelog.

Now changed over to MP2, and even after doing 'Update Satellites' I am still missing several BBC HD as they have recently changed FEC coding. Could someone say where this data is stored now, and can it still simply be edited in .xml as before ?
Yes, I could enter each missing one as a single transponder scan, but that's tedious and does not update for next time.

I found a zip buried deep in program files called 'program_data.zip, dated July 2018, but editing this does not seem to alter the satellite or transponder list in MP2. I assume that is the starting point before updating or for offline use.

I was expecting something in a public or user files location.

This is on a Win7 system.

regards
Bill

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I found a zip buried deep in program files called 'program_data.zip, dated July 2018, but editing this does not seem to alter the satellite or transponder list
    This looks like a leftover of some previous installation. MP2 is not reading or writing settings from/to zip files.

Now changed over to MP2, and even after doing 'Update Satellites' I am still missing several BBC HD
    The update function is an element of the TV plugin, which is exactly the same as the MP1. The update should be visible in the log so you may want to just try it again and then verirfy in the log (either the server.log or setuptv.log). Set the log level to DEBUG in the client settings (although I am not certain that this will affect setuptv.log).

I am rather inclined to believe that the satellite data themselves have not been updated on the MediaPortal server.

Yes, I could enter each missing one as a single transponder scan, but that's tedious and does not update for next time.
    You could also run a complete scan here and there with the "update channel info" option ticked.

bill_gensheet

Portal Member
    May 9, 2010
    Essex
    Home Country
    Thanks,
    This is a clean install of MP2 on a clean Win7, so it is not a left over but could be a 'starter' data set at installation. I will try the update with logging and post the result back here. I have done two scans with 'Update' ticked, it did not turn up the BBC HD
    I have checked again and the cause is the wrong FEC, not frequency or modulation, but I think the wrong FEC is enough to throw off a DVBS decoder.

I do see activity in the TV server window as it does updates so believe that the file is coming down, and hence it is a case of the data needing an update or as I hoped that there was a way to intervene manually as I did with MP1 (but that was V1.7.1).

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe there is a misunderstanding. 'Update satellite data' is only downloading transponder info, it will not change your channel status. You need to do a scan of a a single or all transponders instead.

If scanning a given transponder doesn't find a certain channel, could it be that this particular channel is not broadcasting at this time?

bill_gensheet

Portal Member
    May 9, 2010
    Essex
    Home Country
    I do not think so, but for the avoidance of doubt I followed this process:

Fresh clean install on new Windows drive.
    Update satellite info (various activity on the TV server window, satellite names scroll by)
    Full new tune
    BBC1 HD missing among others - it is a 24 hour broadcast
    Update satellite info again (various activity on the TV server window, satellite names scroll by)
    Full tune again with 'update channels', no new channels found
    Manual tune the two frequencies for the missing HD's with bitrates & FEC etc input manually from KingofSat website
    10 channels found - all the BBC HD's

Also tested with WinTV 7 which found them OK, as I have a hacked satellites.xml file for that and know where to overwrite the default/downloaded one.

So in MP2, is there an editable file somewhere for transponder information, or is buried and so the only way it changes is to do 'update satellite info' ?

regards
    Bill

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    so it is not a left over but could be a 'starter' data set at installation
    The file that you are referring to is C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTv.Service3\ProgramData\ProramData.zip. This comes as part of a library package and has no function in MediaPortal 2.

is there an editable file somewhere for transponder information
    No, there isn't. Channel information is directly stored in the database file C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Database\MP2TVE_3.s3db. This is a sql database that you can theoretically edit manually with a SQL editor.

Manual tune the two frequencies for the missing HD's with bitrates & FEC
    I can't tell why the standard full search is not finding these channels. You will need to verify the log if the respective transponder and frequencies are actually searched. If, however, the manual transponder search requires that you input FEC information, you are dealing with a problem of the TVE 3 software package. That said, I am not aware of reports from MP1 users that there are issues with BBC HD channels, but maybe they just did a manual search like you.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd like to add some more details:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTv.Service3\ProgramData\ProramData.zip
    This is our predefined content that will be extracted to ProgramData folder on clean installations (or if the target folder is missing).The archive contains all tuning details and so on.

The zip contents are extracted to: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\SlimTVCore\v3.0. Here you will also find the TuningParameters like
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\SlimTVCore\v3.0\TuningParameters\dvbs for satellite. The structure is the same as in MP1, just placed in another MP2 data folder.

lecomte

Portal Member
    December 12, 2018
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have also installed Media Portal 2.2 in the last days (coming from WMC) and want to configure my transponder list for DVB-C.

I have no folder like C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\SlimTVCore\v3.0.
    I only have c:\programmdata\team mediaportal\mp2-server\plugins\slimtv.service\programmdata and there is the programmdata zip file. Have no slimtvcore\v3.0 ???

Is it possible to bring the own transponderlist (as described there: Create a custom transponderlist to use with Team Media Portal - Team Media Portal - Zomers Knowledgebase) into mediaportal tv server???

thanks for your help.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    c:\programmdata\team mediaportal\mp2-server\plugins\slimtv.service\programmdata
    I don't think that you have such folder with 2 "m". the folder "C:\ProgramData\" is by default a hidden folder. Maybe you have to change the explorer settings to show hidden and system files.
    Did you already start the "MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration"? The list is of course only stored in above location, when you configured TV once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom