Which codec? (1 Viewer)

hermy65

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
I am currently using ffdshow tryouts for my main playback codec. I have heard that Nvidia Purevideo is better and am considering buying it. Is it better?? And will I notice a difference?? And if I use purevideo, is there any configuring that is needed to get the best possible picture?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

hermy65

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Its a Core 2 Duo e6700
    2 gigs ddr 800
    1.5 terabytes ram
    intel dg33tl mobo
    bfg 8500gt

also, what do you mean by cyberlink

hermy65

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    ok, so do i want to use powerdvd instead of ffdshow as well? or can someone tell me the best possible codecs to use for everything?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Goose's codec guide is excellent

Then you also have the option of doing postprocessing, using ffdshows range of filters, personally am very happy with powerdvd results over hdmi.

Configuring somethings within powerdvd itself, will change system settings.

hermy65

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    so would you recommend i buy powerdvd or stick with ffdshow?

coopers

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2005
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    So ffdshow comes with a bunch of codecs that do xvid/divx etc, so you're still going to want that.

Really you are trying to decide what you use for tv right? So it's your mpeg2 decoder.

Personally I find that cyberlink gives the crispest video (nvidia purevideo is slightly fuzzier) however it is the least "error tolerant" of the codecs. Basically, if I watch a channel that does not have absolute 100% perfect reception, ther e is jerkiness with cyberlink. Still, it looks the best, and if your reception is fine, then I'd go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom