Which DB / configuration do you recommend / use for MP 1.2.3? (1 Viewer)

Which DB do you recommend or use for MP 1.2.3?

• other (please specify in a reply to this thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Having gotten only one response to this poll, I am trying again here, since this is for me a "pre-installation question".
    In addition to the poll question about which DB to use, I am interested in responses to the question of where to put the data files. I have a system with a small SSD (system and applications) and a large rotating HD (data). Presumably the frequency of reads is so much higher than the frequency of writes that performance will be better with the DB files on the SSD, but is the improvement noticeable enough to offset the risk of running out of space or of wearing out the SSD prematurely with too much writing?

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Seem like good questions to me --. There must be some recommendations, if not hard answers.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    HI.
    Used MySQL since beginning of MP Usage but encountered lots of performance issues on x64 last year. So last summer I switched to MSSQL 2005 which hasn't failed a single time jet and needs much less power....

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Used MS SQL 2005 since the birth of the TVSERVER, initialy with WIN 20000, Now use VISTA 32 and 64. NO major issues.

Just updated to MS SQL 2008 to test for a bug that now seems specific to MP handling of any DB on sytems with no cpu bottleneck allowing concurrency issues.

I would recommend 2005 or 2008.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I finally settled on MS SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.
    I gave up on SQL 2012 because
    1. I had trouble getting .NET v4 Framework (a prerequisite) to install offline.
    2. I read somewhere that performance is better with SQL 2008.
    3. SQL 2008 is content with .NET 3.5, which is included OOTB in Windows 7.
    It took me more hours than I care to count to come up with a working automated configuration file.
    I documented my installation process on this wiki page in case anyone else is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom