Which dual tuner DVB-T? (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The 399U uses AF9015 chips - I use one myself - it's been a 'fit and forget' device for me on Vista 32 bit.

Tony

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks. I'm tempted to get the B-grade 499 to see how my signal works with a USB stick. I should be able to return it if it's no good and even if I can't it's only £18 (and if it works great and I keep it it's only £18 :) ) but it rather depends on the chipset it uses, because if it uses something not particularly good it won't be a fair test.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The 499U uses the ITE Tech IT9135/9137 chipset - this looks like it is the successor to the AF9015 (ITE bought AFATech, who designed the AF9015), so hopefully it should be OK.

Tony

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    The 499U uses the ITE Tech IT9135/9137 chipset - this looks like it is the successor to the AF9015 (ITE bought AFATech, who designed the AF9015), so hopefully it should be OK.

Tony

Cool, thanks. I'll give that a go then :)

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Well I got the Grade B K-World 499U Dual USB Tuner for £18 and it's working nicely thanks. It tunes a bit faster than my Nova-T 500 as well. I've tried changing it from Generic to DVB-T and Stop to Pause but that hasn't made it any quicker. I think the fastest card I've used is my old Nebula PCI single tuner but perhaps that doesn't use USB like the Nova-T 500 and the K-World.

As usual the tuning stats are meaningless though, as it shows Quality 100, Level 0. My Nova-T 500 at least tries to pretend it's reporting something useful and shows Quality 70, Level 44 ;)

macnam

Portal Member
    December 6, 2006
    Italy
    Hello all, I have to buy a new USB tv card and I would like to receive suggestions about which product I can take that works well with MediaPortal. I will use it in Italy and the features I am looking for are (top down from the most important requirement to the less imnportant):

1. dual DVB-T tuner
    2. FM tuner
    3. video in (composite or S-Video)

Up to now I haven't found requirement 1 paired with 2 and 3: usually 2 and 3 are available with analog tuners so the only way is a hybrid card but USB hybrid cards don't have dual DVB-T. But maybe someone knows the right product!
    Since I am using an Asrock Vision HT as HTPC, I can positively consider a miniPCI express tuner even if it seems harder to find what I am looking for in that format. I would be a good soilution since it would be internal and keep the system compact.
    I saw in shops tuners from AverMedia and Hauppauge. About AverMedia I read that it could be not compatible, even if someone in the forum succeeded into using it with MediaPortal. I obviously open to evaluate other brands.
    Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom