Which Remote Control? (1 Viewer)

cdemetriadis

Portal Member
February 4, 2008
Home Country
Greece Greece
I just finished setting up my first HTPC. It's something I was really looking forward too.

I preferred MP over anything else I've seen, because it's does everythng, it's open source and it just rocks! After setting up my computer, and getting it to work over the home network... I need to buy myself a remote control.

I've read the forums and scoured the internet. I'll be damned if I came a cross a straight answer. I want an easy out-of-the-box solution for my MP HTPC. I want it to work 100%.

The only thing that I've managed to learn is that Microsoft MCE remotesd tend to work better, but maybe not 100%.

Here's my setup:

• Compaq presario 2816EA laptop
  • Windows xp media center edition (sp2 + rollup 2)
  • MP latest edition

Please help me select a remote. I need to buy it ASAP.

Keep up the good work!

dandirk

Portal Member
January 29, 2007
Below is the remote that I just got for my birthday (yes I am a computer dork)

MX-810

It's high dollar but it controls all my equipment which sits in the closet in an adjacent room from my TV area. Macro's to turn on TV, change inputs of stereo etc etc. Harmony remotes are also decent, for less.

I highly recommend Universal Remote if you are looking more for an automated home theater instead of a more computer based system (mouse movement etc)

MCE remotes are used quite frequently here, but if you have additional equipment you may want to think about a more robust remote.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    It's always a trade off between features and complexity. A lot of people don't want a universal remote as complicated as the one you linked to. But on the other hand there are a lot of people that do.

The buyer needs to consider these things when they are deciding on a remote.

For example, I have a Philips Pronto. But I don't use it. It's just not as practical as the standard MCE remote. It's a great idea on paper to have a touch-screen and all that, but I just prefer the simplicity of a "normal" remote.

The good thing about the MCE Remote is that it comes with blasters, so with a bit of software jiggery-pokery you can get the same benefits of a universal/learning remote if you later need to.

Cheers,

cdemetriadis

Portal Member
    February 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Thx to all for the reply.

I guess the Microsoft MCE is the obvious choice, but here's another question...

Can "any" universal remote work with Media Portal? From what I've read, it's hard to get them to work, but is it possible?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The main thing with universal remotes is that they can duplicate the buttons of another remote.

Some people have trouble with duplicating some remotes because some use toggle codes which actually change each time you press the button (which is useful for detected held/repeated button presses). But there is often ways around that.

The trick to using "any" remote with MediaPortal is the receiver. If the receiver is supported then you're set.

I don't know if that answers your question or not?

Cheers,

cdemetriadis

Portal Member
    February 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Greece Greece

ajc122

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    The trick to using "any" remote with MediaPortal is the receiver. If the receiver is supported then you're set.

Hi And-81 (or anyone else that might be able to help),

I am interested in understanding this comment further. I don't suppose you have any web links to information on setting up a Universal Remote (eg. Logitech Harmony) to work with PC's, and in particular Media Portal.

I currently use an AverTV remote (that works very well with Media Portal at the moment thanks to a fine plug in, that's no longer supported I believe) with the AverTV IR receiver. Do I need to:

a) ensure the Universal Remote I purchase can "emulate" the AverTV remote, possibly by manually "learning", but ideally one that is pre-programmed to support this, so I can continue using the AverTV IR Reciever;

b) ensure the Universal Remote I purchase can "emulate" a remote supported natively in MediaPortal, for example a Media Centre Remote and use the AverTV receiver - how do I do this? (ps - I run WinXP at the moment); and/or

c) an alternate approach? ie. do I need to purchase a "generic" receiver?

Many thanks in advance.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    What I meant by that statement is that it depends on the receiver. MediaPortal doesn't support any remotes, it supports the receiver. So if you get an MCE receiver then you'd want your universal remote to simulate an MCE remote. If you want to (if you can) use the AverTV receiver then make your universal remote simulate an AverTV remote.

But, you can use the MCE receiver, USB-UIRT or a couple of other "generic" receivers as well ... though you may need additional software/plugins to get the most out of those.

If you're going to buy a "generic" receiver then I suggest the MCE Remote Receiver. You'll find the MCE remote/receiver is the most often recommended around here for the simple reasons that A) it's cheap, B) it's good, C) it comes with IR blasters.

Hope that helps,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom