Which skins support (nearly) all plugins? (1 Viewer)

N8jaeger

Portal Member
April 8, 2009
Saarbruecken
Home Country
Germany Germany
hi,

there are a lot of skins, and i found a lot of threads regarding the incompatibility between a plugin and a "not the default" skin. my question is which skins are supporting nearly all available (or at least the most common) plugins? i want to try out some skins but i dont have the time to do a full QA session for each of them :rolleyes:

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Explorer :D
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    most skins in their threads have a list of supported plug-ins depending on what you are looking for in a skin most of them are compatible with the latest plug-ins

N8jaeger

Portal Member
    April 8, 2009
    Saarbruecken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thx for reply.

well, i thought there are some "nearly default skins" out, because i read a lot about "black&white" and "indigo". but it seems that there will be no better solution than trying out a "nice" skin and see what happen ;)

happy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2009
    Explorer :D
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    well i used to swear by indigo, because it was simple effective and kept up to date, but as i finshed expirimenting with MP i want a slick looking skin and went for streamedmp until xfactor was release, your best is to try different ones and see what appeals to you the most

N8jaeger

Portal Member
    April 8, 2009
    Saarbruecken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thx for reply :)
    i tried out some of them but after all i decide to stay with the default blue3 and apply some customizations for my own

but anyway: :D

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i tried out some of them but after all i decide to stay with the default blue3 and apply some customizations for my own

It looks like you've got things sorted, but just in case anyone else is looking for a skin that supports "all" plugins you could give BleazleWide a go. It's based on Blue3Wide which means that if a plugin works in B3W it will run in BleazleWide.

EDIT: More info on plugin support in BleazleWide here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/bleazle-311/plugin-support-version-7-a-59166/#post414280

EDIT 2: @ N8jaeger - oooops - just noticed that you're using Blue3 (4:3) so I guess BleazleWide isn't going to help you out anyway...

torbjorns

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

but anyway: :D

I came up with the same conclusion. I have a favorite skin in XFace (1.8 re), really a great skin. But I went back to Blue3wide because I couldnt get XFace to work with myWorldmap plugin. I was also curious to try myLyrics plugin, but it seems only to work with B3W as well.

I find it really sad this nonconformity between skin vs plugin. Any howto's for workarounds, anyone?

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ....I find it really sad this nonconformity between skin vs plugin.....

This is because (in my case at least) skins are made by people who (like yourselves) hadn't quite found what they wanted amongst the skins that were available so they decided to create one and then at some stage decided to share it with other MediaPortal users.

In my case I put BleazleWide together for MY MediaPortal system but once it started to look OK I thought others might like to check it out. Some of the skins support a lot of plugins but I don't have time to download/install & then add support to a whole range of plugins that I'll never use so I based the skin on B3W, that way any plugins supported by that skin would also be supported by BleazleWide (with a bit of minor tweaking).

If you like a skin that doesn't support a plugin that you use check to see if the person that created the skin will support it. If not maybe it's time to take the plunge and add value to the MP community by coming up with a new skin? Who knows, maybe there are others out there looking for the same sort of skin as you....

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You can also copy the plugin.xml file from either /skins/blue3 or /skins/blue3wide and put it into the /skins/skin you are using/ folder
    you will find that the colours match and it doesn't usually look out of place, especially since most customised skins are based on blue3 or blue3wide

+1 Recommending either BeazleWide or Indigo skins

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom