Which Sound Card For Optical Out / DD / 5.1 Output? (1 Viewer)

Maz78

Portal Member
January 6, 2006
Hey Folks,

I've been reading up on the specs required for a HTPC and just want to know which sound card do I need?! I want AC3 / DD 5.1 sound output for TV / Movies.

Will a standard Augidy do the job? Do I need a ZS model, what the heck is the difference? Any other options? (I want to send the sound signal to the optical input on my Pioneer amp. I guess this is the way to connect it?)

I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me?

Thanks!

:)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    If your after all media in AC3/DD 5.1 then you want a card capable of encoding. The most common is the HDA X-Mystique which isnt too badly priced (close to the price of an audigy value). If your using a socket A amd then a soundstorm certified board will do the same.

If you get an audigy card then anything but AC3/DD 5.1 material will be in 2 channel stereo.

Maz78

Portal Member
    January 6, 2006
    Cool. Thanks for that. So how about some of the new 6150 based boards with on board "HD Audio".

Will they do the trick? Will an Audigy value accept DD 5.1 / AC3 or is it only the ZS and above?

:)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The MSI and Gigabyte 6150-based boards is based on Realtek ALC 880, (7.1) while the Asus board is based on a 5.1 channel HDA Azalia/AC97 audio controller

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Any card with SPDIF will pass Dolby Digital or DTS, but apart from that everything else will be in stereo. So anything except DVB TV (if broadcast in DD) and dvds will be in 2 channel stereo.

If you want proper 5.1 for every source, youll want a proper DDL encoder card. There are a few out now so there is a small range to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom