Why Can't I Get The MyFilms Grabbers to Capture Covers and Fanart? (1 Viewer)

Robert123

Portal Member
October 25, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

I have been experimenting with MP on and off for a few years, but only recently decided to "use it in anger" as it now seems pretty stable, and has many powerful features that I want to use.
I have chosen to use MyFilms (6.0.3.2921) with the ANT Catalog (version 4.1) and MP 1.5 to control my movie collection, and can get most movie information downloading as I want.
My problem is, I cannot seem to download either movie covers or fanart using MyFilms. This worked a few weeks ago, but then "just stopped". I had 900 movies in my collection (most added in one big bulk run), each in its own folder, using the default settings, and covers and fanart were there; all nice and sweet. Then I started adding the rest of my movies in batches of 10-20, and once again, all was well. Then "something happened".
As I added more batches, I noticed that, for the new movies, there were no covers or fanart.
I became so frustrated, I removed MP, MyFilms, AMC, everything and then re-installed all MP programmes. Since then, no luck at all; it's even worse. I have tried multiple installs and tests and settings, but cannot solve the cover/fanart issue (I can download neither). The only way I can get cover images is to go into ANT and use the ANT grabbers to get the covers, (but not fanart). The cover images are in the AMC catalogue folder (ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MyFilms\Catalog).

So, in summary, I cannot download covers or fanart with MyFilms.
I am pulling my hair out in frustration, so any help would be great!
I am assuming that MyFilms either uses an internal process or the supplied MyFilms grabbers to get the movie and fanart images, but either way, I cannot get any images.
Under ProgramData/Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal/thumbs/MyFilms/Fanart I can see MyFilms has created a fanart folder for each movie like this:-
{2001_.a.space.odyssey}
{a.bug's.life}
{a.christmas.carol}
{a.fistful.of.dollars}, etc,
but each folder is empty.
I have tried looking at the MyFilms grabbers in the "MyFilms Grabber Script Editor" and tested each, and can see that none of the English language grabbers successfully download covers. None of the grabbers in any language download fanart, either. My default grabber is IMDB-Full.xml, but I have tried most others (including Tmdb). Is there an issue with the current grabbers?
I have also tried setting "Use Script for fan art" in the AMC Updater Database tab.
Here is my MyFilms Set-Up Artwork tab:

Set-Up Artwork Tab.PNG

Here is my MyFilms SetUp Update Tab
Update tab.PNG

Here is MyFilms Database Fields Tab
db fields tab.PNG

Any help at all would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Robert

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey Robert123 - you are not crazy ;) MyFilms grabs fanart from TMDb and they discontinued their previous API and introduced a new one a few weeks ago and Guzzi hasn't had time to update it yet :(. So fanart is no longer working.

However, covers are working for me using IMDB-Full. Are you sure you have the latest version (1.2.10)? You can update grabbers on the Import tab in MyFilms Setup.

If you give me some examples where you cannot grab covers using IMDB-full I will test in Grabber Script Editor here to confirm.
    You can also post your AMCUpdater log - after trying to import a movie, or even using Update Movie on the View Movies tab in AMCU.
    Or you can try to Update a movie with a missing cover in MyFilms GUI - use the 'Select fields(s) for update...' method so you can see if it actually finds a 'picture'.

That should help pinpoint where the issue is occurring, and we can go from there.

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Crap - forget all that - I just tried testing covers using IMDB-Full and it wasn't working - they must have made another formatting change on IMDb (again!)
    I tried to fix it but all the redirection/regex stuff is beyond me :notworthy:

Robert123

Portal Member
    October 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Hi Dadeo,

Very much appreciate your speedy reply.

Yes, seems as though you are seeing the same or similar issues as me.

I have some additional information.

I have also tried (from within MP/MyFilms) using the Options/Global Updates/Download fanart (all film), but that is not working. I can see (using task manager; Windows 8), that there is some communication to the internet (for only about 5 minutes, which is short for 900 movies), but there is no fanart downloaded this way either (which ties up with your statement above about fanart not working).

I have also tried the following, with a partial success. I have a movie without a cover and without fanart in MP/Myfilms (but with all other details). If I select that movie in MP (so that MP displays the detail pane for the movie) and go to options/updates/get internet film info (selected film), then choose "The Movie DB (en)", the cover is downloaded. Choosing the other options here (IMDB-full (default) or "IMDB with TMDB Cover (en)" or IMDB (en) does not result in a cover or fanart being downloaded.

Using the TMDB grabber (TMDB-EN-V3) in AMC Updater to add a movie from scratch also results in a cover. I assume therefore, that this is the grabber being used in the above paragraph.

So, it seems that IMDB-full, IMDB, "IMDB with TMDB Cover" and some other grabbers are not working (regarding covers and fanart) in MP or AMC Updater, but TMDB-EN-V3 works in both (gives covers but never gives me fanart). All give me movie information, but none give me covers or fanart.

A special case is TMDB-EN as this grabber gives me the following error in the AMC Updater log:-

ErrorEvent : ErrorEvent importing Movies\Bird on a Wire.(1990)\Bird on a Wire.(1990) (1).mkv : Matching the movie was successful, but grabber failed getting movie details data (title).

I have run the tests above three times today, so I hope I have made no errors (but my head is spinning a bit) and hope you see the same as me.

If you need me to provide any logs, or carry out further tests I am very happy to do that for you.

Robert

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yeah the global updates download fanart uses the same TMDb api (no longer working). I'm just downloading manually using web browser until Guzzi fixes it.

Yes all the IMDB/related scrapers have an issue with coverart - erLe had reported that in the Scripts forum thread as well. IMDb changed their format again recently. But the other grabbers, like TMDB-EN should be fine. I can see the issue with covers in the Grabber Script Editor - but I don't understand regex or the method used to grab from sub pages. So I wasn't able to fix it. :( but I don't think it will be difficult for Guzzi or anyone with the required knowledge. ;) And we won't need to wait for a new release, as you can update grabber scripts via the Import Tab in Setup.

At least you figured out how to get covers in the meantime - same method should work using Cover Manager and selecting download single cover > TMDB-EN grabber. I suspect the main and multiple cover download options in Cover Manager use the TMDb API (not grabber), so are likely broken atm also :( I can't test atm., but if I find out anything else that works I'll let you know.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    A special case is TMDB-EN as this grabber gives me the following error in the AMC Updater log:-
    ErrorEvent : ErrorEvent importing Movies\Bird on a Wire.(1990)\Bird on a Wire.(1990) (1).mkv : Matching the movie was successful, but grabber failed getting movie details data (title).
    Did you select TMDB-EN-V3.xml or TMDB-EN.xml as the grabber? I think you need V3 now.

Robert123

Portal Member
    October 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Hi Dadeo,

Yes, TMDB-EN-V3 was fine (regarding covers) in both AMC Updater and within MP/MyFilms. TMDB-EN failed or gave an error.

Thanks for your attention on this and the explanations given. At least I know now that I am not crazy!

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom