[solved] Why does Mediaportal 2 need access to my webcam? (1 Viewer)

Limehouse John

January 6, 2020
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hello, I'm brand new here so I hope that I'm posting in the correct place - if I'm not please forgive me and correct me - thanks.

Can anybody tell me why Mediaportal 2 needs access to the webcam on my laptop? I have Norton 360 on my machine which monitors programs making 'unusual' requests. MediaPortal 2's server (I have client and server on the one machine) asked for access to my webcam - Norton intervened and asked if this should be granted - and I said 'Yes' - but I've no idea why it might want this. Can anybody tell me?

Below are screenshots of the relevant messages from Norton .

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

Best regards and a happy 2020

Limehouse John

webcam message.png

Webcam detail.png

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can anybody tell me why Mediaportal 2 needs access to the webcam on my laptop?
    It doesn't.

What happens is that MP2 is simply scanning the network environment to establish a list of potential media sources that a user may opt to later add to as shares. MP2 is not able to tell if the IP camera is actually a camera or a drive if Windows reports it as a storage or even computer device. I would suspect that the camera holds a SD card, hence it could be considered to be a drive that can hold media data that you would like to have access to. This is in fact a potential use case where MP2 would allow accessing your recorded camera pictures through its video/picture playback possibilities.

Last edited:

Limehouse John

January 6, 2020
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Thank you for that explanation HTPCSourcer - very clear - and it has set my mind at rest about being 'hacked'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom