Why does my Vista wake up randomly? (1 Viewer)

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

some days ago I installed Vista (Business) on the HTPC (XP had big troubles hibernating the PC, maybe a bad driver, and I got the Vista licence for free). Now hibernating works good, no more crashes during hibernation, but now the PC randomly wakes up.

Sometimes it's just 1 minute after MP hibernated the machine, sometimes 10 minutes and sometimes 1 hour or more. I can see no reason in the logs, neiter in the MP logs, nor in the system event logs.

I chose the most energy-saving option from Vistas new energy options

I didn't change any hardware or BIOS settings compared to the XP install.

I'm running out of ideas here, please help my HTPC to get his nightly sleep back ;)

Thanks,
    Maschine

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    lol, I've been having the exact same problem on my XP machine the last few weeks. Ended up having to disable all startup apps, and re-enable them one by one. There was also a patch available for fixing XP's inability to hibernate when you have more than 1GB of RAM. It sleeps fine now, but I have no idea what kept it up.

Anyway, you're on Vista so that doesn't really apply. But if there's nothing in MP's logs, I suggest you try disabling startup apps and then re-enabling them gradually because it may not be an MP problem.

I dug into the Windows API and couldn't find something that tells you *what* woke it up. I found stuff that could tell you when it was set to wake up, but not what. Vista may have changed that, but I don't think so.

Sam

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your answers! I have enabled extensive logging in MP, but I really don't think it's a MP problem. I tried also to hibernate with Vista's hibernation fuctions and MP not running - same problem.

Not beeing able to find out "what" woke up the PC is the hardest part I think. As Sam pointed out, one can see when the machine woke up, but not which process caused it :/

I read on some forums that Vista has some administrative services like defrag or indexing enabled by default to wake up the PC. Pretty stupid IMHO ;) But unfortunately I didn't find a setting yet to disable that...

Well seems I have to live with that ;)

Maschine

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think you would find those services either in Scheduled Tasks, or under the Services bit in Administrative Tools. Not sure, as I haven't had time to load Vista yet.

I would try disabling startup items first, because they're easier to disable.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom