Why does the user have to bother with codecs? (1 Viewer)

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Then I tried SAF, because I it worked easy and good for me in the past. It almost worked, but for one MKV the audio was really dampened. So I tried to fix this but failed.

SAF6?
    If yes, can you post a small sample of that video to reproduce? Use MKV merge to create a sample.

Sorry for the late answer, just saw this now.
    Yes, SAF6. But at this point in time I think the problem goes deeper than only codecs as my MediaPortal has other problems. I will reinstall Windows and MePo and test again, if it then still doesn't work I will try to get a sample.

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Why does the user have to bother with codecs?

OK - this might be a stupid question - but as VLC is also open source - what is the reason not to use these codecs in MP too? Or to go a step further - as already there is the optioon to use vlc as external player - why not combining these projects and deliver VLC as build in player option?

Regards

Markus

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Re: AW: Why does the user have to bother with codecs?

OK - this might be a stupid question - but as VLC is also open source - what is the reason not to use these codecs in MP too? Or to go a step further - as already there is the optioon to use vlc as external player - why not combining these projects and deliver VLC as build in player option?

Regards

Markus

VLC is not a direct show based player.
    And using external player is really not good with MePo.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Why does the user have to bother with codecs?

Hi.
    VLC is a BTN (better than nothing) solution only. It plays nearly all content, but none of them good enough to satisfy advanced users. Especially on HD material VLC is crap. And, if you want something similar without loosing option to use High Class Playback you can install LAVF. The Video Codec from this is based on the same lib than VLC and plays mostly all VLC can play. But lets you the option to choose something lot better for HQ content.

BTW, I hope I don't cheat to much, but there are rumours to bundle LAVF with MP... If this happens (I believe) average user can playback nearly all content "out of the box" without codec fiddling... And on Win7 (or up) you can use MS Codecs for HQ as well, so normal user did never have to get a look at codecs at all.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

BTW, I hope I don't cheat to much, but there are rumours to bundle LAVF with MP... If this happens (I believe) average user can playback nearly all content "out of the box" without codec fiddling... And on Win7 (or up) you can use MS Codecs for HQ as well, so normal user did never have to get a look at codecs at all.

Thats a +10000000000 !!!! for me. :) Does this count?? :D

Yeah yeah... I know. Its not that easy and requires LOTS of free time :) Ghehehe.. Benefits are Humongus though !! :D

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England

+1

A removal of the codec madness can have great impact on Mediaportal community regards to the ease of installation and keeping all installations up-to-date.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Other than LAV Filter I just use the default Win 7 MS Codecs. So Assuming you are on Win 7, Setup is pretty simple.

(OK a small lie, for Blu-Ray Handler I needed Cyberlink PDVD Codec)

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Other than LAV Filter I just use the default Win 7 MS Codecs. So Assuming you are on Win 7, Setup is pretty simple.

(OK a small lie, for Blu-Ray Handler I needed Cyberlink PDVD Codec)

You probably also need QuickTime/MediaLooks for online videos......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom