Why doesn't it work?! (1 Viewer)

Pom

Portal Pro
August 10, 2006
Gloucester
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Quick question: In the 'Codec' tab of the set-up, if the sample video clip plays CORRECTLY when i click 'test' for each of the file types, then does this not mean that i should be able to watch the majority of all online videos? Because i can't!! YouTube and BBCiPlayer are the only ones i tested and after buffering for a minute or so i always get "UNABLE TO PLAY....." (didn't catch the last part of the error as it was off off the dialog box).

By the way, i am very happy with my codec set-up and so have no intention of installing SAF, which will no doubt ruin it ;-)

Thanks,
Lee

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    If you're so happy with your codec setup (and you don't want to change it), what kind of suggestions you expect? It's obviously codecs problem so your setup might not be so shiny after all.
    So, my suggestion is to either install LAV (splitter + a/v decoders) which might already solve most of your playback problems. :)

Also, when asking for support, it's ALWAYS a great idea to include logs. In this case, just to rule out few other possible playback problems.

Pom

Portal Pro
    August 10, 2006
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Logs - yes i know, i'm lazy i'm afraid.

<RANT>
    Although i've been a MediaPortal user for several years now, am still a big supporter and don't believe there is a better HTPC solution out there, i do still get very frustrated with some aspects of MP and the plugins. I just think some things are way more complicated than they need to be. Our cherished MP will never apeal to the masses whilst everything is still customisable to the 'n'th degree! When trying out new features and plugins i like to put myself in the shoes of a Newbie user trying out MP for the first time. If i was a Newbie tryng out OnlineVideos for the first time (and not knowing about the attaching logs ettiquette ;-), i'd want to know simply "if the playback tests pass in the set-up facility (which is supposed to validate my codec setup) then why don't the downloaded files work?!" Doesn't make any sense to me...

I've tried out OnlineVideos twice now because i would really like to have it! But both times = not working 'out of the box' = uninstalled. I think last time i said in this forum that i personally feel a complete solution for this plugin (and all others that depend on a very particular codec setup) would be to have the relevant codecs bundled in with the installer so that it 'works out of the box'! Is there a good reason for not doing this? The codecs are free so why not install only the ones required/recommended for the plugin (not a million redundant ones SAF would no doubt put on my PC)? Leaving it 'fully customisable' is not necessarily good!
    </RANT>

Sorry for my rant, i'm clearly in an argumentative mood today! But i do strongly believe that in order to attract more users/customers (which must surely be the #1 aim of a project such as MediaPortal) 'we' need to be making the setup of core components less complicated and hardware/software dependant. I do consider OnlineVideos a 'core component' as this integrating internet TV/videos with satellite/terrestrial broadcasts is clerly the future of set-top boxes (cue 'YouView' about to launch in the UK soon fo example).

Please be gentle with me - i'm entitled to an opinion and i am a big MP fan, honest!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom