Why doesn't Mediaportal get included in Hauppauge install cds/other paid solutions? (1 Viewer)

cowpie

Portal Member
October 6, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Seems like that could be a good way to raise money if you package things like the zap2it plugin and other stuff in it, plus it's much better than the trialware "Sagetv" that came with my hauppauge card. How come Hauppauge isn't including Mediaportal instead? Or even selling it to OEMs...

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Bram's reason is the largest one I would agree with. MediaPortal gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "working beta". Most software under this kind of initial development usually exhibits a lot of instability, but MP is probably the most stable beta software any of us have ever used - which can put people into a false sense of security.

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    Nantes, FR
    Every piece of program could be considered as a simple beta over its whole lifespan. Just a matter of point of view. After 2 years of development, I wouldn't call a product beta anymore.
    However back to the topic: I think the main reason Hauppauge won't include Mediaportal in their bundle CDs is simply because they have money agreements with third-tier software companies. Who gets OpenOffice pre-installed with his brand new shinning PC? Why is there always a Microsoft Windows bundled with a new PC sold? Business agreements. Finding partnerships for Mediaportal would be a tremendous and time-consuming challenge. No open source software of this size can afford that.

Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom