Why isn't MC2XML (tv grabber) added to the standard MP installation? (1 Viewer)

Topstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 28, 2008
    Arnemuiden
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm using MC2XML for quite some time now, and at first I had some startup problems,
    But now it is running for quite some time now, and I wonder why this easy to use tool isn't used by MediaPortal.:confused:

The MC2XML uses the Mediacenter resources to get the epg data (worldwide) and 14 days ahead! :D

Here are some spec's about the programm: mc2xml

included is a full MP manual

JorisFRST

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    Hi,

I'm using the same on my system.

Not sure if it should be included, there's a few already included and it integrates very easily,
    specially with those instructions.

Griffo

Portal Member
    April 13, 2009
    I would suggest that there may be some legal issues to consider with MC2XML. Microsoft pay people for the data that they then feed, I doubt MS would be happy with people using it in competing products.

Topstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 28, 2008
    Arnemuiden
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    But hey, I paid for XP so I can use it... I guess.

Maybe the MP crew could setup a payed database.
    I wouldn't mind 2 pay a small donation frequently for a service like that.

prerequisite would be a 14 days ahead database...
    I need that for scheduling my movie recordings

zeebee

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 10, 2007
    Great link! The download speed is very, very fast (full speed at my 25Mbit/s connection)! For some this could be the end of their clickfinder subscription ;).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Maybe the MP crew could setup a payed database.
    I wouldn't mind 2 pay a small donation frequently for a service like that.

Small donations wouldn't be enough, just sum up how much work would few thousand tv channels all over the world cause daily work? It wouldn't be enough just to have few full time (paid) members to update the show listings.

Also you would most likely end up into paying for the broadcasters itself to allow the data to be used (like in Australia for example).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I would suggest that there may be some legal issues to consider with MC2XML. Microsoft pay people for the data that they then feed, I doubt MS would be happy with people using it in competing products.

Indeed, that is why we cannot add such into MP.

Topstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 28, 2008
    Arnemuiden
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm Sure in time a few thousend MP users could bring up the required money on a regular basis, since MP is evolving so quickly...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I'm Sure in time a few thousend MP users could bring up the required money on a regular basis, since MP is evolving so quickly...

You need to remember that:

1) Most of the users won't want to donate for the application itself (much bigger than just some EPG data)
    2) Even 10000e won't allow such operation to be run for a long period
    3) Many users can get free EPG data already with DVB EPG from the DVB stream (which is updated more ofthen than MS does update their data)
    4) Many users can get free data by using webepg to grab the data from different web sites

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom