Why so few developers for MP2? (1 Viewer)

mr_poopyhead

Portal Member
October 30, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
this isn't meant to insult or criticize anyone involved in MP, but I was just curious as to why there seem to be so few devs on such a great project. in fact, it seems like only morpheus_xx ever submits code.... MP is not some obscure tool that only a few people would use. Seems like it should be a very popular project for both end-users and developers....

if i compare a project like xbmc, they have hundreds of code commits daily and huge team of developers... imho, MP is a much better product (or has the potential to be).

do people not like working in C++ (correction, C#)? is it hard to write plugins for MP2? i just don't understand how a great open source project like MP doesn't attract more talent.

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    i'm not able to reply you with better arguments than morpheus, but what i know :
    MP is more closed for use : only Windows, compared to XBMC ( Linux, raspby, Android, ... )
    Because of the Windows OS, MP must be run on real computer, and not on an BOX or USB dongle.

About MP1 & MP2 Dev, We don't have the guideline, to stop coding on MP1, all devs are free to work on what it want.
    but in fact the transition is made slowly, We "search" (wait) few new Devs blood, but for to be Dev, we want than at least than help community and provide few lines codes and to be active an minimal.

MP2 is more C# than C++. C++ more dedicated for DirectShow filters.

@morpheus_xx : comment ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom